32%
No
68%

Total votes: 22
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Does Star Trek need a reboot?

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

With all the inconsistancies and pure stupidity of some of the things they've done with the series, I often think Star Trek needs a total reboot. It's not an uncommon practice in Anime and Manga series to reboot a series. Sometimes they'll use identicle characters, but sometimes with a different element involved, like a different character or purpose, or something changed, so it doesn't have to be a total rebuild. They can still use a lot of what they built up already, since there's no point in reinventing the wheel, but there is still a lot that should be redone IMO.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

I'm going with no. Trek uses so many writers that if they did reboot there would probably be new inconsistancies within a week.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

With a better, and smaller writing staff they'd be able to avoid those.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

No way. If I want to watch a different show, I will, and it shouldn't be called 'Trek.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

It wouldn't be a different show, just with a more consistant history. One even based off the original universe. If they did that I'm sure it will be a thrill whenever they mention something familier, like the legendary captian Kirk.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Where's the option for "let it die"?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Nah. It doesn't suck.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Cpl Kendall wrote:Where's the option for "let it die"?
Why throw out a workable concept. Clearly we all like the show or we wouldn't be here, and the concept is sound. The show itself has deviated from it's original path.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I think just starting a new sci-fi with a similiar storyline would work better.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:It wouldn't be a different show, just with a more consistant history. One even based off the original universe. If they did that I'm sure it will be a thrill whenever they mention something familier, like the legendary captian Kirk.
If we have to wait for a random mention of something familiar, then it's not the same show.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Obviously there will be more then that. It'll be like how different continuities in anime and manga are similar but different.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I understand what you mean. It sucks when they do it in anime and manga, and it would suck far more if they did it in a long-standing and ardently-followed real TV show like 'Trek.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey wrote:I understand what you mean. It sucks when they do it in anime and manga, and it would suck far more if they did it in a long-standing and ardently-followed real TV show like 'Trek.
Did you just insult anime? I'll let you know anime shows have followings larger and stronger then Trek currently has. And they rarely have as many continuity errors. Usually more caused by errors in animation then anything. There are fewer plotholes and continuity errors in an entire anime series then there are in one season of Star Trek.

Now I belive Star Trek has been the victim of having been too on too long, with ideas that worked 20 or 30 years ago that are now out of date. Now I say, let Star Trek rest for a while until it can be rebooted properly. This time around they will be able to do a better job at making the series right, rather then leave their fans to argue over things that don't make sense. Like why they don't fire wide beam phasers to wipe out several Jem'Hadar, or why no one seems to know what armor is.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Personally, I really like anime. My favorite is Ghost in the Shell, followed by Trigun and Bleach. But as for a Trek reboot, I say no. Why mess with a good thing even if it goes way off course, it might end up crashing and burning like a cheap Italian war plane.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

mwhittington wrote:Personally, I really like anime. My favorite is Ghost in the Shell, followed by Trigun and Bleach. But as for a Trek reboot, I say no. Why mess with a good thing even if it goes way off course, it might end up crashing and burning like a cheap Italian war plane.
Because it has been crashing and burning like a cheap Italian war plane since Voyager. I think the next movie will either make or break the franchise for a long time.