Trek and the old "I'm pointing a gun at your dudes"

Trek Books, Games and General chat
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Trek and the old "I'm pointing a gun at your dudes"

Post by sunnyside »

It's a staple of modern writing when even a smattering of action/adventure is involved. So of course it shows up in Trek.

However in Trek there are transporters that in previous episodes have demonstrated

1. They are fast enough "grabbing" someone that they could even snatch a weapon partway through it's firing procedure (that one time with Data). More than fast enough to grab someone before they could fire.

2. They seem to "grab" someone instantly such that you can shoot through all the glitter and sparkle and the shot will just go through. (A couple times we've seen this for dramatic effect).

Now if there are anti teleport fields up, or you're far away, or you're being threatened on some other guys ship OK. But I'm pretty sure they've used it a whole lot beyond that. (The Jem'Hadar kid on DS9 from a recent episode. For example).
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Good question. My guess is that Starfleet is so inundated with "white hat syndrome" that there is a standing protocol to avoid any nominally risky action when lives are at stake.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Mikey wrote:Good question. My guess is that Starfleet is so inundated with "white hat syndrome" that there is a standing protocol to avoid any nominally risky action when lives are at stake.
White hat syndrome?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

sunnyside wrote:
Mikey wrote:Good question. My guess is that Starfleet is so inundated with "white hat syndrome" that there is a standing protocol to avoid any nominally risky action when lives are at stake.
White hat syndrome?
Good guys where white hats.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

We have also seen people killed when they were shot whilst beaming out; i think Major Hayes went out that way.

I suspect that it's a matter of how far into the transport cycle you are when you get hit; there's probably a short window where if you get hit early enough you die and/or can fire yourself. A second or two later and you can't. So not something you want to risk in a hostage type situation.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

They've also shown they were able to beam up and deactivate a weapon that had been discharged, as in the episode where Data was stolen/kidnapped by that intergalactic collector and put on display as one of his nick-nacks. Data took that weapon from him after he used it on his girlfriend, then was in the process of firing the weapon when O'Brian beamed him up and deactivated the weapon while he was still in the buffers.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-