Up, down, top or bottom of Borg ships?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Up, down, top or bottom of Borg ships?

Post by colmquinn »

I'm sure you've all touched on this somewhere in some form or another but is there an Up, down, top or bottom to a Borg ship?
I know the cubes/ spheres seem to be able to move as quickly in one direction as another - is there a particular advantage in this ability to move like that - other than trying to confuse the enemy targeting and if so why don't other races try out this tactic?
But it seems that when away teams go onto Borg vessels there only appears to be one ground (albeit different levels) - would the Borg not find that different gravity orientations in particular areas provide a maximum use of space or am I just spending too much time looking out the window at work?
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

just spending too much time looking out the window at work?
8)
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, there seems to be an 'up' while inside the ships, evidenced by the fact that there's artificial gravity. I suppose you could take from that a rough sense of 'up' and 'down'.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

It surely simplifies the design of a cubical ship to have gravity pointing in one direction throughout; this eliminates transition zones and the complications inherent in transition zones. A spherical ship conceivably could have radial gravity, but Borg spheres are small enough that the curvature of decks in such an arrangement would be significant, especially near the center of the ship. Having "up and down" gravity on spheres eliminates this complication as well.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah maybe a truely massive Borg ship flying around the Unimatrix could pull off different levels of gravity but Borg ships as big as they are are still kinda too small to take advantage of that.

And its a slight advantage not having to turn to face your enemy in space combat instead you can zigzag towards whatever direction they take.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

I think we've seen a Cube flying with one of the square faces forwards as well as an edge where two faces meet forwards as well.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

True. It would seem that the internal definition of "up" and "down" bear no relation to the external facing or vector of the ship... which would be expected of Borg design philosophy, having little aesthetic sense and bearing in mind that such a connection would be "irrelevant."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

IIRC, in BOTW, when the Enterprise left the nebula, the Borg ship just sped off, not turning around after approaching the nebula.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

True - more evidence of the external facing not relating to the internal arrangement.
as Bull offed Custer
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Really when you think about it this is the way that makes the most sense in terms of a ship designed to operate solely in Outer Space, the only ship Canonically stated to be designed to operate in an atmosphere was the Intrepid (I Don't count shuttles) and even then this was as an Emergency Type procedure. Starfleet ships really are not designed well in this regard.

I'm sure someone would argue the point but I doubt that the Enterprise could go Warp 9 sideways or backwards, of course this also goes back to Engine Placement and how they stop, the Borg would seemingly have found an answer by building ships which were never meant to have an up/down/right/left.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

KuvahMagh wrote:I'm sure someone would argue the point but I doubt that the Enterprise could go Warp 9 sideways or backwards, of course this also goes back to Engine Placement and how they stop, the Borg would seemingly have found an answer by building ships which were never meant to have an up/down/right/left.
I think there are a few examples of starships reversing at warp - the E-nil in "Balance of Terror" and the E-D in "The Nth Degree" spring to mind. Overall, though, while spaceships theoretically have the ability to accelerate equally in any direction, in practice such an ability would reduce it's maximum acceleration due to the size of engine needed. Look at the Apollo C/SM for example - to achieve the sort of acceleration it needed, it was limited to a single axis.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Don't forget that in the case of non-cubical ships - Federation, etl. al. - warp field "aerodynamics" also come into play. A ship might be able to travel at warp in a non-forward direction, but nowhere near as efficiently or quickly. We have often seen a starship pivot at sublight to a new heading before going to warp.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

The Borg seem to have found a way around the warp field dynamics problem - while SF ships have tended toward more streamlined shapes in the name of warp performance, Borg ships are anything but streamlined, yet faster that the fastest ship in the AQ/BQ (of course, they are much larger as well). Either Borg warp drives don't have the same field shape limitations as standard Warp, or the Borg have such powerful engines that they can overcome these limitations and they don't care about warp efficiency or considered other factors more important in ship geometry.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Don't forget that the Borg wouldn't use standard warp drive all that much. Probably only when they are chasing down other vessels. For general faster than light travel they'd probably just use transwarp, and it might not matter so much what shape the vessel is for that. Using transwarp for chasing down vessels would probably be like using a formula 1 race car to chase down a snail. And given that the Borg have power sources that are incredibly powerful, they probably are able to say, " to hell with it, let's just dump in more power instead of completely rebuilding our ships."
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

I was aware of Borg transwarp, but we have seen Borg cubes outrun the most advanced Fed ship at the time, the E-D, apparently using some form of conventional warp.