Why do the Borg move so slowly?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Tsukiyumi wrote:It's a bit like Magic: The Gathering, only a bit less complex. It looks like fun to play, honestly. Too bad I don't have hundreds of dollars to blow on rare cards for games like that.
It is fun, and fast paced, despite what you see in the anime. You don't need rare cards, just a well structured deck. I have a few good rare cards, but my deck isn't well structured. And I didn't have money or ambition to rebuild it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Just so you know, you guys might as well be talking Martian to me.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Anyone who enjoys a good game of chess should appreciate the strategy involved in building a solid deck and playing Magic. Yu-gi-oh isn't much different. Lot of chance, but in the end, you create your own deck, so strategy is paramount. It's a lot of fun.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Re: Why do the Borg move so slowly?

Post by Duskofdead »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:It's not even a matter of them being hindered by their mechanical parts, as the "liberated" Borg in "Descent" confound this story. Those were physically identical to all other Borg drones, but moved very quickly and viciously. Why would the Hive Borg choose to plod along like some big, ungainly things?

Also, have we seen any instances other than Descent of Borg firing energy pulses from their arm appendages?
I think the Borg in "Descent" are acting somewhat of their own nearly individual accord.

Virtually all other Borg are being "prodded along" by group mind instructions. It's almost like ping with internet connections.... individual Borg drones are not making internal decisions and so there is some sluggish lag in their actions. It could be, to some degree, resistance to the group mind as well.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I know that what we're looking for is a Trek reason for the Borg's slow movement. In real life, was it to make them similar to the classic zombies?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think in reality it was to make them seem even less human. They never hurry, which is a 'human' thing.

In-universe, my theory is somewhat similar to Dusk's.
The Borg are basicaly like one big computer. Now, what happens if you have twenty different programs running all at once on your computer? It slows down a lot. The Borg's slowness could be something similar. The Collective is trying to process too much information and too many orders, so everything slows down. This would explain why it took so long for the Borg to launch another attack on Earth, and why they used so little ships in it. It would also explain why they don't use guns (by the time they've aimed and fired, the target would have moved).
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

That makes sense. My computer slows down when just one program is running... :lol:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It's certainly the most logical hypothesis I've heard.

BTW, have we gone from necro-ing threads to actually resurrecting other ones? :lol:
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

necro-ing
???
What does this mean? :?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

stitch626 wrote:
necro-ing
???
It refers to posting in threads that have been inactive for weeks or months - it's generally frowned upon, since it's nigh-on impossible for people to remember what they'd been saying at the time. A better approach would be to start a new thread on the subject.
Last edited by Captain Seafort on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

to "necro" is to revive a thread long after it has become inactive.
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Oh. Thank you, I'll remember that.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Mikey wrote:It's certainly the most logical hypothesis I've heard.

BTW, have we gone from necro-ing threads to actually resurrecting other ones? :lol:
What can I say, I'm a golden child, I resurrect dead things. :)
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Captain Seafort wrote:
stitch626 wrote:
necro-ing
???
It refers to posting in threads that have been inactive for weeks or months - it's generally frowned upon, since it's nigh-on impossible for people to remember what they'd been saying at the time. A better approach would be to start a new thread on the subject.
In really active forums I could see that, and have been told that before. But eh. Here it's rare for more than the very top most 2 threads to be receiving any posts at all, so it's not exactly like I'm spamming the place up.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Duskofdead wrote:In really active forums I could see that, and have been told that before. But eh. Here it's rare for more than the very top most 2 threads to be receiving any posts at all, so it's not exactly like I'm spamming the place up.
No doubt. I occasionally dig things up, if only to have easy reference to points that have already been made about the topic.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939