Omnicompetence

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Omnicompetence

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

This is another one of those little problems, not unrelated to omnicommunicability. Whenever SF crew moves onto an alien ship, or an alien crew comes aboard the hero ship, they are (usually) able to operate the alien controls as if they've been doing it since they were children. There have been exceptions: the captured Klingon ship in STIII, the Iconian control room and when the Ferengi tried to take over the E-D. Of course, as in the previous cases, there must be some suspension of disbelief so that the episode doesn't get bogged down in technical details like this. However, this being DITL, the issue isn't above consideration. :lol:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Yes, this does seem stupid. I can only deduct that SF officers recieve a little training to recognise what systems might be on a Klingon or Cardassian ship say. Perhaps control panels are designed fairly uniformly that can be recognised.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:Perhaps control panels are designed fairly uniformly that can be recognised.
That's always been my assumption. Since we assume that warp propulsion works similarly between major species, I always felt that control interfaces were similar enough to be operable, aside from ergonomic concerns.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

That's a reasonable enough supposition, though it does get stretched a bit once we get into the Dominion/Starfleet crossovers and the instances involving Voyager in the DQ. It's easier to believe when we're talking about Alpha (or Beta) quadrant races that exist alongside one another; it becomes a bit more of a miraculous coincidence with the Gamma/Delta quadrant races.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I guess this boils down to universal ideas. With video games, while the controls aren't always universal, if you're familier with that style of game(like first person shooter or flight sim) it's usually easy to figure it out for all games in that area. Or another example is piloting airplanes. If you can fly a 747, there's a good chance you can fly a small civilian(non-commercial) plane. It might be more difficult the other way around, but some control concepts are universal I guess.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I watched the making of an episode of Enterprise and they realized they kept doing that and put some show time into learning how to operate the craft. Think it was the Xindi ship or the Suluban.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:I guess this boils down to universal ideas. With video games, while the controls aren't always universal, if you're familier with that style of game(like first person shooter or flight sim) it's usually easy to figure it out for all games in that area. Or another example is piloting airplanes. If you can fly a 747, there's a good chance you can fly a small civilian(non-commercial) plane. It might be more difficult the other way around, but some control concepts are universal I guess.
This would seem to be an artifact of the fact that most Trek species are humanoid, if true. The Trek species thing is another little nit that's not realistic, but quite understandable. "Realistic" aliens incomprehensible to humans wouldn't play well for this kind of show.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That would be something we'd have to chalk up to, "If they did it any other way, the show would be unwatchable." Doesn't help in-universe, but this one is close enough that I can live with it.
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I have to stand by the idea of compatibility. If the engines are similar, the types of technology are similar, so then would the controls. A car is a car/plane is a plane as people said. Also, if you notice, its usually senior crew. Chalk it up to good training! Yes, unrealistic w/ the Delta/Gamma but how often do we really see Voyager use other technology en masse?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

How could they read the language? If they are similiar OS, they could operate some things but at some point their not going to be able to do anything because it's in Cardassion. Try operating Winblows in Croatian and see how you do.

Which brings me to DS9. They shouldn't have been able to operate anything without knowing the language or are we to believe that Cardie computers have an English setting? I could see O'Brian being able to read it given his history as well as Kira but the rest should have been SOL until the Chief could load up a new language setting.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The impression I got from Emissary was that, while the Cardassian withdrawal was pretty recent, it wasn't a case of the E-D coming in to take over right on the heels of that last departing Galor. There was therefore a bit of time for the Bajorans and Feds to move in, transfer control of the station, and upload any patches needed to translate the consoles into Bajoran or English.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

In addition, I'm sure it would be an easy matter for the computer to display any control terminology in any language in its database.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

That explains DS9 but not the ships, SF I can understand why they have a bunch of languages on their vessels but the other empires are all one race so why would they have the ability to change their OS language?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:That explains DS9 but not the ships, SF I can understand why they have a bunch of languages on their vessels but the other empires are all one race so why would they have the ability to change their OS language?
Well, the major languages would obviously all be in the ship's database; and a better analogy would be changing the GUI, not the OS - which should be nothing for a 24th century computer. In other words, we're talking about overlaying a different language on the interface, not changing the entire system.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Jeebus I'm tired of having to invent explainations for Trek writers. Perhaps the UT projects a translation of the interface on to a contact in the SFer's eye!