Omnicompetence

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Jeebus I'm tired of having to invent explainations for Trek writers. Perhaps the UT projects a translation of the interface on to a contact in the SFer's eye!
That could work for some of the characters(Geordi, Data, and the EMH), but the others must be that good. :roll:

Isn't that what the TARDIS does in Doctor Who?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Dunno, I've only seen a few episodes. The ones with the Daleks, I don't think it came up.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

In the episode they first encountered the Ood, they encountered a language older then the TARDIS could translate. A language from before time existed. Normally the TARDIS translates written and spoken language so that the Doctor and his companions can understand. Star Trek should've had the UT do something like that. Sometimes things like this make me think that Star Trek should just start over, or jump a hundred years or so into the future.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I can't argue with that. Seems like I should watch Dr. Who, if only it wasn't so expensive.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Tardis translator uses its telepathic circuits, which is probably the best way of doing it from the production point of view since it removes the need for complicated explanations of why some words aren't translated, and how they can read alien writing.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:The Tardis translator uses its telepathic circuits, which is probably the best way of doing it from the production point of view since it removes the need for complicated explanations of why some words aren't translated, and how they can read alien writing.
I remember reading a book back in third or fourth grade I think, that was part of a series, where this human kid got taken up by aliens to a mothership the size of Kentucky where they implanted a translater in his mind that translated language and gestures. Things like that, the TARDIS' telepathic circuits, and the lack of continuity make me think Star Trek needs to be reset.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The TARDIS is able to do that because it's telepathic and knows virtualy everything, so it's able to instantly translate things for people.
Thing is, there's nothing in Trek like that. So this line of reasoning won't help.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

How does the Universal Translater work?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

*shrug*
I assume it just translates any transmission in real-time to whichever language you want.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:How does the Universal Translater work?
There's an explanation in the TNG Tech Manual (which I naturally gave to Sally Ann), something about how the majority of languages have similar structure that can be used to generate a translation.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Which, naturaly, makes virtualy no sense. You can take languages from two different regions on our one, little, tiny planet and they can be nothing alike. We're now to accept that two languages, from completely different cultures that have had no influence on each other historicaly are now similar enough that they all come from one base root?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Which, naturaly, makes virtualy no sense. You can take languages from two different regions on our one, little, tiny planet and they can be nothing alike. We're now to accept that two languages, from completely different cultures that have had no influence on each other historicaly are now similar enough that they all come from one base root?
I think the explanation in the TM is pure bunk.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, that's hardly unique among Trek, where every second thing is explained by 'quantum'. :)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Don't forget "frequency", and if radiation is being discussed "inoculations".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Don't forget the latest particle-of-the-week!