Quads

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quads

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

We've heard a number of times amounts of data being given in Trek in units called "Quads." In the real world, this is probably done to disguise the actual amount of information, in the Trek tradition of "iso-" units and Stardates. However, could this possibly indicate that in-universe their computers run on the base-4 system rather than the binary system used today? I suppose this might be possible if they use photonic computers utilizing polarized light. Photonic circuitry is a technology being developed in laboratories today; it has the advantage over electronic circuitry that it does not generate large amounts of heat like modern electronic circuits.

Of course, no mention of "photonic" circuitry has ever been made in Trek, though they generally didn't give too many details about how their computers worked. One thing they did mention, positronic circuitry, is physically impossible. In any event this will have to remain pure speculation.

Also, in a "real" Trek future, we'd expect to see quantum computers.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The most common explanation I've heard is that quad is short for quadrillion - so a quad is a quadrillion bytes, i.e. a thousand terabytes.

My problem with that is that we're gonna exceed that sort of capacity a damn sight quicker than three hundred years from now.

Maybe it means "quadrillion terabytes" or something.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Plus, it would require vastly greater amounts of data to store a transporter/replicator pattern.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Plus, it would require vastly greater amounts of data to store a transporter/replicator pattern.
Yes, the amount needed is absurd. Popular Science wrote an article about this a few years back. Fascinating stuff. Something about our most powerful computer now couldn't store so much as the pattern of a single human skin cell.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Really? Wow.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Rochey wrote:Really? Wow.

It was something absurd like that. We're so far off from having that storage capability that we could barely have enough data to store and reproduce a cell. But my facts may not be exactly accurate.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

We probably don't have enough capacity in all the computers in the world to store the pattern of Captain Picard's cup of tea.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:We probably don't have enough capacity in all the computers in the world to store the pattern of Captain Picard's cup of tea.
Thats why we have tea bags =)
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

I'm a bit concerned about your New England habit of dumping tea into the ocean. I don't see how one can drink cold, briny tea full of fish. :wink:
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:I'm a bit concerned about your New England habit of dumping tea into the ocean. I don't see how one can drink cold, briny tea full of fish. :wink:
The same way you New Yorkers can drink water that has been treated from the East River. No filter in the world can take the taste of mobsters and dead hookers out of one's mouth. Which, I guess, is why we need tea.