Another trek series

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Another trek series

Post by Teaos »

I hate to say it but I don't think we are ever going to see another trek series.

Enterprise killed it.

Best case is this movie is hit (Unlikely) and they choose to so a spin off in which case we get another poorly done retro series which no one likes.

What would be best in my opinion is a series sit in 2400ish a couple decades after the Dominion war.

Time enough for a for new technology to be created and introduced and for the politics (alliances) to change.

My favourite species is the Romulans thus I would like them to be the main species (Behind the Federation). I could see the Klingon empire being in negotiations with the Federation for membership. This could be for protection after it suffered so badly in the Dominion war and internal problems.

But I honestly can't see anyway that or any other series will come about.

Your thoughts?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

I too find it unlikely given the current climate that any new trek series will come out for some time.

When it does, I'd love to see an alien perspective, like the Romulans or Klingons :twisted:. I think that a WELL DONE retro series could also be great for the fans (although the chances of a "retro series" happening at all and it being "well done" combine to make it extremely, EXTREMELY, unlikely)

So I'd settle for a modern, alien perspective.

Two other ideas, I'd like to see a miniseries based on some of the better Trek novels (I personally think that Ashes of Eden would make a good movie or miniseries, but one would have to re-cast the original crew). Or a series detailing the Titan's adventures (with a nice Romulan slant...)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

In my opinion Trek should be left alone for a while before anyone tries to redo it again.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Rochey wrote:In my opinion Trek should be left alone for a while before anyone tries to redo it again.
I don't disagree. Like I said, the climate is just not good for more Trek right now.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Considering most of the older fans have been nearly driven off at this point...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I like the idea of a mini series. That could give great freedom to explore possible ideas. Do one about the Romulans one about the Federation.

It could fill the need for some trek but not saturate us with it. Also since it is only a mini series it could probably be doe a lot better than other shows.

Then if one is really popular you can use that as a base for a series latter.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Do mini-series bring ratings? I love the idea of them, but I genuinely don't know how they do for networks.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Would probably depend on the mini series. They would be like series good ones will rate bad ones won't.

I don't think they are done much just becuase they would rather make a series.

But in trek case a mini series could be like a tester to see if the fans will accept it.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That wouldn't be a half bad idea.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

I don't know; I'm actually pretty optimistic at this point. Trek XI has the potential to revitalize the franchise in a big way. If it's succesful enough to spawn sequels, then I'd say the chances are good we'd see some kind of return to TV. And it wouldn't necessarily have to have anything to be a prequel, as some of you have argued; TNG was started partly as a result of the sucess of the film series post-Wrath of Khan, and not only did it have almost nothing to do with the films, it also had a completely different creative staff. Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best...:)
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Captain Peabody wrote:I don't know; I'm actually pretty optimistic at this point. Trek XI has the potential to revitalize the franchise in a big way. If it's succesful enough to spawn sequels, then I'd say the chances are good we'd see some kind of return to TV. And it wouldn't necessarily have to have anything to be a prequel, as some of you have argued; TNG was started partly as a result of the sucess of the film series post-Wrath of Khan, and not only did it have almost nothing to do with the films, it also had a completely different creative staff. Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best...:)
I am, too; I just am afraid the producers will mess it all up either by being too eager to follow on with another series or by trying to tie everything up so there CAN'T be more. (Thankfully the latter is unlikely).

I think that Trek might have a better chance if the movie energizes the fan base but then takes a bit of time to decide what the best new direction might be. Keep enough coming out to keep any new fans interested, but be spare enough that fans always *want more*, better than over-saturating the market.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Think they'll be smart enough to do that? :roll:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Think they'll be smart enough to do that? :roll:
Depends who's put in charge. If it's B&B, well, enough said. If it's someone like Manny Coto then, I think Trek has the potential to do bery well. After all, I get much the same impression from later Eneteprise episodes (particularly season 4) as from the later McCoy era of Doctor Who - on the brink of becoming great again, and then cancelled.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, to be fair Ent did pick up near the end.
Like you said, depends on who's in charge.
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Another trek series

Post by Crushproof »

Teaos wrote:What would be best in my opinion is a series sit in 2400ish a couple decades after the Dominion war.
Oh Jesus Tapdancing Christ please no!
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov