Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: The Eight Star Fleet Ship Design Rules

Post by Nutso »

The interview with Andrew Probert referenced in the above video.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

thing is... The USS Voyager breaks two of the rules about nacelles - when at Warp the nacelles are not visible from in front (which should be when it would be able to collect more dust matter) due to the tilting struts, and barely obey the min 50% rule only BECAUSE they tilt, but when they don't (aka not at warp) they also break that 50% unobstructed LOS rule...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The story is that Gene was very supportive of the Franz Joseph tech manual back in the day - made after the original series, Gene would support anything that kept Trek alive.

But then TMP rolled around, and now he wants it clear that he and he alone is Mr Trek, so he decides to quash the TOS TM. Hence the design rules, purposely intended to rule out all FJ's ships.

Nacelles in pairs - so no Dreadnought class. No Saladin class. No Hermes class.

Nothing between nacelles - so no Ptolemy class.

I've always said to hell with those rules, given how mean spirited they are. But since they've all been violated in canon one way or another, they simply don't count in my mind.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Was trying to think of examples that break them...

Nacelles in pairs :

3-Nacelle E-D from All Good Things. Yes, a projected future, but surely we must assume the projection was realistic.
1-Nacelle forward section of the Prometheus, when the ship splits up.
1-Nacelle Freedom class seen in the Best of Both Worlds wreckage scene.

Nothing between nacelles :

The original Phoenix, nacelles either side of the body.
The early NX test ships, nacelles either side of the body.
The Defiant seems to be a middle case, the body is between the nacelles but they do droop.
The Raven, hull between the nacelles.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

and what about the klingon BoP also? or were they only starfleet's rules?
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Graham Kennedy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:03 amNacelles in pairs :

1-Nacelle forward section of the Prometheus, when the ship splits up.
The Prommie has two forward nacelles, although they're over and under, so she breaks the "nothing between nacelles" rule.
Nothing between nacelles :

The original Phoenix, nacelles either side of the body.
The early NX test ships, nacelles either side of the body.
The Defiant seems to be a middle case, the body is between the nacelles but they do droop.
The Raven, hull between the nacelles.
Nebula?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

'bout the only rule that the starfleet ships don't break is the 'COMMAND CENTRE HAS TO BE CLEAR AND OBVIOUS TO THE OPPONENT LIKE A BIG ...*cough* LIKE A B- *coughcough*

Ahem.

I could see those other rules as having good reasons to stick to them, though not necessary for warp drive to basically function. Effiency/safety/other reasons.

But yeah.

hell, the Hermes, Saladin and possible Federation are sorta canon because pages of the Tos TM were basically ripped for the bridge console upper monitors in the films...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Graham Kennedy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:32 am The story is that Gene was very supportive of the Franz Joseph tech manual back in the day - made after the original series, Gene would support anything that kept Trek alive.

But then TMP rolled around, and now he wants it clear that he and he alone is Mr Trek, so he decides to quash the TOS TM. Hence the design rules, purposely intended to rule out all FJ's ships.

I've always said to hell with those rules, given how mean spirited they are. But since they've all been violated in canon one way or another, they simply don't count in my mind.
'Word of God' stuff like this never counted to me, neither, especially with, as you say, these ones being so damned mean-spirited and motivated by hubris.
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Thing is, so often "word of God" gets contradicted very quickly and/or very often, so...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:32 am The story is that Gene was very supportive of the Franz Joseph tech manual back in the day - made after the original series, Gene would support anything that kept Trek alive.

There are alot of fans out there that still view Gene with rose colored glasses. If you really break down the man you will find out he was never really good at writing scripts and he had a giant ego with all the while looking to make a buck.

The starship design rules is just one example of him pulling his dirty tricks on people.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"