Future Star trek shows should incoorporate the newest idea's

Trek Books, Games and General chat
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Future Star trek shows should incoorporate the newest idea's

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

Hi guys,

So here is an thought, should new or not as-yet-made star trek shows utilize the newest deep space discoveries or stick to the history of star trek?
example: at the center of the milky way is an super massive black hole named Sagittarius @ star ( or A-star). In star trek 5, the final frontier, they show the center of the galaxy as having the barrier around it and the imprisoned god-like being there. If they were to use current understanding/discoveries/ect, it would sort of ruin the canon of the old stories. I'm sure the writers could go around it in some way (*cough* Alter.. *cough* ....nate time...line.. *cough*). I would love to see future crews explore the mysteries around an super or ultra massive black hole! but I also wonder what it would do to the stories and excitement of the past we grew up with?

Anyone else think it would be a good idea (change or use new space info) or bad idea (and leave the stories alone)?
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Future Star trek shows should incoorporate the newest idea's

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

About ST:V ... uh, there was no Star Trek 5 the final frontier. They skipped and went directly to The Undiscovered Country...

... ha kidding.
though I would like to headcanon that from sybok boarding the enterprise to being saved by a (?) on the bird of Prey, was like a bad acid trip and some of it/most of it was made up (they didn't actually go to the galactic core...

In other words, like that hilarious Voyager fanfic that says "oh yeah most of the time the crew were on drugs and Threshold was a shared hallucination that the Doctor just said 'screw it' and went along with"...

But Mostly, I think a "Merge" rather than "Overwrite". And Any discrepancies... blame it on Q. I already do for the impossibility of the Universal Translators' real-time or even ahead-of-time translation. (I mean anyone who translates between english and french or other certain languages will know what I mean when the proper translation to use happens to just be direct word translation BUT then changing word order, rather then 'This phrase translate to This phrase'.)
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I like that idea to merge the new with the old. It could mitigate greater fails on canon stuff.

Also, the comment about ST: 5. Glad I wasn’t drinking something, would’ve squirted out the nose. :)
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Merge. I don't have the imagination to figure out how to bring new, real world space relevant information into Star Trek. I don't know if the Trek universe still has an energy barrier on the galaxy's rim, that damaged the Kelvan's ships as they entered the Milk Way.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

It’s all really unknown. Much like the giant magnetic bubbles surrounding our solar system that voyager 1 detected when exiting the heliopause. Who knows what actually keeps the Milky Way and other galaxies from flying apart as they spin? Lol. Could be some sort of gravitational or magnetic barrier. As for the merger of fact and fiction, pre-and present info... I’m actually intrigued at the idea of how to seamlessly combine them. 8-o