Did subspace-comms die?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did subspace-comms die?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So I took a look at ex-astris recently and noticed that the forum it was associated with, http://subspace-comms.net, seems to have vanished.

Going to that URL just brings up one of those ads you get when there's nothing there. So did the forum die? Anybody know anything about how and why? I know when I last looked at it, it wasn't terribly active (even compared to us, lol). Shut down due to lack of interest, perhaps?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Did subspace-comms die?

Post by Vic »

From what I could gather Bernd did shut it down from lack of traffic, hell who knows, maybe Flagg killed it off.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That's a shame. I wish we had more people here posting, but Trek sites don't seem to get a lot of interest in general these days.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

in general the forums tend to go in disuse nowadays I think :\
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I’m a member of three forums and they’ve all got a lot less traffic, I think as media moves away from this and more to twitter and Facebook.

Also help if the new trek wasn’t arse and got people interested.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:I’m a member of three forums and they’ve all got a lot less traffic, I think as media moves away from this and more to twitter and Facebook.
Yeah, a shame that.
Also help if the new trek wasn’t arse and got people interested.
Also a shame.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I think Reddit really took a big chunk out of forums. Reddit is a mega-mall of junk, the stuff you like, the stuff you are curious about, and the stuff you hate. You can go there for Star Trek discussions, then go to world news, or politics, or joke, of nsfw stuff, all in one location.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Maybe but reddit was huge before this forum started.

I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that I’m every forum I’m on, the average age is 30+ with the odd youngling

Different type of media for different generations. They like arguing with strangers, we like arguing with internet buddies.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

something similar happened years ago with usenet

remember the old group it.fan.startrek receive thousands of messages a month ... today yes and no and it makes a dozen
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

bladela wrote:something similar happened years ago with usenet

remember the old group it.fan.startrek receive thousands of messages a month ... today yes and no and it makes a dozen
ISPs used to offer free usenet access. I imagine once that ended and you had to pay for Usenet, it was probably the death knell for usenet groups that weren't about pirated stuff.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park