Pitch a Trek miniseries

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pitch a Trek miniseries

Post by Graham Kennedy »

You're greenlit to do a Trek miniseries. Anything, at any point in the timeline, in any universe including a whole new one. You can explore any established event, or a completely new one. Go wild, it's a big budget "prestige TV" affair.

What do you make? What story, set when? Who would you cast?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Pitch a Trek miniseries

Post by Bryan Moore »

Lazy Answer: "Star Trek: Borg Invasion / Destiny Trilogy" The 6 books related to the deaths of trillions... Absolutely.

Original Answer: "Tomed" I want a 4-6 part series (90-120 minute episodes) relating to the Tomed Incident and the creation of the Treaty of Algeron. I am all for using "Serpents Among the Ruins" and other Lost Era stuff as sources, but let it go beyond that. I would love to see that "transition period" if you will, where the Kllingon conflicts are over and a more modern political era for the Federation and Starfleet come to be.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay, my idea : the voyage of the Valiant.

Time period would be 2063. The Valiant was Earth's first exploratory warp ship, designed for long duration exploration missions. Would have to be limited to Warp 1 (cure you, Enterprise!) or so. The ship sets off and is swept up in some kind of anomaly that catapults it far into space. Adventures and remarkable things ensue. Then they encounter the energy barrier at the edge of the universe and some of the crew gain ESP powers. It ends with the Captain destroying the ship before things can go south, leaving only their disaster beacon drifting in space.

After credits sequence... the beacon still floating, now battered and scarred... and the Enterprise comes into view. The beacon dematerialises and we fade to black.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

The voyages of the USS da Vinci, from the SCE novels.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

I have a 3 book series in the TNG era called Genesis Wave, where someone has perfected the Genesis device, only this time, it's in the form of a cosmic wave that sweeps across the Alpha Quadrant, transforming planets in its wake. It would make for an interesting miniseries.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Bryan Moore wrote:Lazy Answer: "Star Trek: Borg Invasion / Destiny Trilogy" The 6 books related to the deaths of trillions... Absolutely.

Original Answer: "Tomed" I want a 4-6 part series (90-120 minute episodes) relating to the Tomed Incident and the creation of the Treaty of Algeron. I am all for using "Serpents Among the Ruins" and other Lost Era stuff as sources, but let it go beyond that. I would love to see that "transition period" if you will, where the Kllingon conflicts are over and a more modern political era for the Federation and Starfleet come to be.
Are you me?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I complain so much, yet I have no ideas.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Nutso wrote:I complain so much, yet I have no ideas.
Here's some of my inspiration. Use it wisely. ;)
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Funny, you don't seem like a Millennial...
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Funny, you don't seem like a Millennial...

Edit: Am millennial, can poke fun at own generation.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Redo Star Trek Enterprise (it can only go up)

Each episode is a story, season is a story, and the whole is a story.

1st season: exploration, primarily making contact with older Federation colonies, and helping them where needed. Have a checklist and route map on Archer's desk, so we can see how they are doing. Each planet might even be color coded according to what they need/produce (use something like traveller's World Code system to help label the systems). Use a few stories from the TOS to get ideas that set up those stories. I.e regular planet has useful mineral below the surface, so Archer provides technology to let them harness the mineral. He also mentions the need for safe breathing apparatii so people mining don't get affected by the fumes. Solving the problem they leave planet Ardana behind.

Transporter usage is primarily for solid simple objects, due it being a developing technology. So instead of transporting a metal drum full of water, they transport blocks of ice.

Primary language of communications is Vulcan, because the Vulcans are the ones who have the most contact with other races compared to earth. As Archer and co meet new races, they add more greetings to the file, but put Earth standard as the first and last greeting.

2nd season: meeting new aliens other than the founding three. Cultural idiosyncracies are misunderstood, communications reached, and eventually non-aggression and trade pacts are slowly formed. Other races begin to get along a little better with humans than Vulcans, but the usual wonder about our sanity is referenced often. Have a map on Archer's wall showing the state of the local area, with dots of different colors showing different races contacted, along with Federation colonies as well. Maybe have a scene similar to the Pirates brethren where Captain Jack voted for Captain Swan, but have Captain Archer vote for another alien (instead of each alien race voting for their own species to be a temporary admiral). There are a few shimmers at the end of the credits during the season, and th finale shows a ship decloaking, and firing on a colony from orbit

3rd Season: conflicts starting. and Earth-Romulan war begins. Earth is fighting, but the Romulans have ships everywhere (in reality it is only a few ships, moving quickly, and using pre-staged supply bases. They would have had more, but Earth's actions to unify other races forced them to speed up their timetable). Unfortunately, the Romulans keep winning, and earth forces get pushed back. Final episode is battle over Earth, with Starfleet sending out a distress call to every other race they have contacted, asking for help.

4th season: DeM, other races bring ships in to help fight at Earth. Romulans had banked on knocking Earth out and using that to terrify the other races. It didn't work, and the Romulans are low on supplies. Aliens on other ships notice different patterns for the Romulans depending on which aarea they are in, and realize that Romulans used cultural blind spots to hide their bases. This leads to alien races taking out Romulan supply bases, and steadily pushing the Romulans back. Unfortunately, the Romulans near their border can fight harder, due to supplies being nearby. Both sides are getting worn down, and the first messenger drones are sent back and forth, eventually leading to a cease-fire and Neutral zone agreement.

Instead of the Romulans, you might even have the Klingons instead, but the outliers of the Klingon empire are smaller Houses that are effectively space pirates, keeping other races smashed down until the House can conquer them. If a House gets too powerful, it is absorbed by another House, and remnants form another border House. So the Federation beats up what they think is the Klingon Empire, but in reality is it merely aa minor House on the border of the Empire, and the larger House that was their sponsor is now wondering what happened.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

A series modeled after the Destiny novels. Of course shortened. Maybe a six part mini series.

I would also say a USS Excelsior one. Perhaps the end of Captain Sulu's career. Maybe the end of mini series he witnesses the commissioning of the Enterprise-C. Maybe get him and Uhura and Chekov to to investigate the Cardassians (insert other mysterious races of the time not named Ferengi).
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'd been thinking about this on and off, and I think I'd like to see an exploration of the never-was Assignment: Earth idea.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Okay, my idea : the voyage of the Valiant.

Time period would be 2063. The Valiant was Earth's first exploratory warp ship, designed for long duration exploration missions. Would have to be limited to Warp 1 (cure you, Enterprise!) or so. The ship sets off and is swept up in some kind of anomaly that catapults it far into space. Adventures and remarkable things ensue. Then they encounter the energy barrier at the edge of the universe and some of the crew gain ESP powers. It ends with the Captain destroying the ship before things can go south, leaving only their disaster beacon drifting in space.

After credits sequence... the beacon still floating, now battered and scarred... and the Enterprise comes into view. The beacon dematerialises and we fade to black.
That would solve a huge timeline issue. Great idea.

I originally was going to write a joke about some SJW piece of minority / LGBT members being followed and ignoring plot and good writing in favor of being 'edgy' and pretty graphics, but I realized I was describing the plot of Discovery .

I'd just like to see something that pushes the storyline further. At first I hated the Temporal Cold War plot of Enterprise, but when I watched it again, I thought it wasn't that bad. So they could enter that, show some other large threats, maybe a force moves into the Romulan Empire after it's collapse, maybe then show the Romulans joining the Federation, etc. I'd love to see the Dominion return one day too. But to do any of that I think they'd have to push the timeline forward considerably, maybe 100 years or so.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

I really like the Enterprise how it should have been made synopsis.

but for a miniserie and not a complete serie, my favorite is about the treaty of Algeron.

Putting miniseries in all the holes could be fun if it is made carefully Rogue One style and not Discovery style.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt