Game of Thrones discussion thread Spoilers Beware

Everything else
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Game of Thrones discussion thread Spoilers Beware

Post by McAvoy »

There isnt a discussion thread for this show. Perhaps the biggest show in history. Let's try not to make this about 'I don't watch the show and here is why'. Make a different post for that.

Anyway, so two episodes into the final season. The first big showdown is about to happen.

Who lives, who dies. What is Cersai's army going to do. Where is the Ice Dragon. What is Dany going to do with Jon now.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Game of Thrones discussion thread Spoilers Beware

Post by IanKennedy »

Saw a few seasons, haven't really watched it since.
email, ergo spam
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I saw the first 4 seasons. The fifth season drove me away. I only occasionally follow the show now so forgive me for any holes/ignorance of current events.

Who lives, who dies?
Brienne's going to die. She got what she always wanted, a Knighthood. Happiness has a price in Westeros.
Sansa. The death of her dire wolf has always pointed to this.
Berric Dondarrion. The question is who will he pass his fire powers onto? Who can do the prayers without Thoros of Myr? The Red Woman?
Grey Worm/Missandei. The made a promise to return to Naath after the battle. One or both of them are dead.
Varys is dead. He's not doing anything anymore.
Fuck it! Everyone who's going to hid in the crypts. Hiding amongst the dead against an enemy who can raise the dead? Yeah, they dead when the Night King shows up.

The Night King and his Ice Dragon? Going to wipe out the histories of Men by burning down that library Sam was studying in. That's how you destroy a culture, remove them from history/remove their history.

Cersei? Dead by the Valonqar. In the books, valonqar is a High Valyrian word meaning "little brother." Maggie the Frog's propecy stated that the valonqar will wrap his hands around her pale, white throat and choke the life from her. Maybe we will find out that the Night's King is a little brother of an ancient Stark. Maggie never says, "your valonqar,' which would include Jaime, the younger twin, nor Tyrion. She says, "the valonqar" which could be anyone, including her Ironborn ally/paramor Euron Greyjoy.

Dany can return to the East and rule her kingdom there. The people, rich and poor, will want Jon Snow. Unless Dany intends to use her dragons and make the point that realistically, no one can beat her dragons.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I hope it ends like 'The Holy Grail'
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

So there is controversy about the episode being too dark to see. Honestly while I do agree in principle I do see why they did it. It's shot like as if you were there, so only natural lighting like fire and of course the Moon during the dragon fights. I mean you are fighting the Night King, night is in his name.

The other was how this massive buildup happened and then finished in one episode in a fairly anticlimactic way. While mostly loved Arya doing her badass Epic Leap of Destiny, there is some who felt it should have been Jon who fought him.

The way the episode set itself up early on that you knew the Night King had to die in the end of the episode.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"