Types of Sci-Fi Warship (Frigate, Destroyer etc.)

Everything else
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Types of Sci-Fi Warship (Frigate, Destroyer etc.)

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'd estimate that maybe a third of the volume goes to the nose and nacelles. Let's be generous and say half, though. That still leaves the working space as being 25,000 tons worth.

That would make her working space as big as the Russian Kirov class battlecruiser - and bear in mind that a chunk of that ship's space goes to engines and such too. Still, she can support over 700 crew and carry well over 200 missiles (and many of those are at least several times larger than a photon torpedo), plus guns, torpedoes, etc.

One could easily make the case that the Defiant is big enough to be called a cruiser, let alone a destroyer. Or not; there's a lot we don't know about starship design, and little we know about what words like Destroyer and Cruiser mean in the Trekverse.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

If Defiant is a PT boat, she sure as hell punches above her weight.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I'd estimate that maybe a third of the volume goes to the nose and nacelles. Let's be generous and say half, though. That still leaves the working space as being 25,000 tons worth.

That would make her working space as big as the Russian Kirov class battlecruiser - and bear in mind that a chunk of that ship's space goes to engines and such too. Still, she can support over 700 crew and carry well over 200 missiles (and many of those are at least several times larger than a photon torpedo), plus guns, torpedoes, etc.

One could easily make the case that the Defiant is big enough to be called a cruiser, let alone a destroyer. Or not; there's a lot we don't know about starship design, and little we know about what words like Destroyer and Cruiser mean in the Trekverse.
If you design the ship like a modern naval ship. I have served on the them, they are cramped, three people per bunk, in large berthings. Passageways are barely big enough to have maybe two people side by side. Majority of all pipes, valves, motors etc is in plain view and sometimes can be in the way.

Defiant was designed with minimal creature comforts in mind but they still give alot of space in passage ways, even the rooms which they sleep.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Things like that are certainly worth consideration, but they just don't do enough to cover the difference.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...