Game of Thrones

Everything else
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Game of Thrones

Post by Bryan Moore »

Do we purposely avoid talking about this show on the forum? I never see it mentioned often, and with the amount of sci-fi and fantasy fans here, I find it a bit odd it doesn't get brought up more.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Mikey »

I'll talk about the novels all you like, but I have not and will not see one minute of the show.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Why is that? Like most things I prefer the books but the TVs show is mostly good.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Why is that? Like most things I prefer the books but the TVs show is mostly good.
I just enjoyed the books so much that I never saw any point in watching the show.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I only started following the show in season 5, because my cousin did a GoT viewing party every Sunday. I got hooked immediately and bought the Blu- Ray and killed 4 seasons in 2 weeks. It is by far my favorite thing on TV now. I have not read the books.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

First season is almost word for word what was written in the first book. After that they started to streamline the series, combining certain character arcs or omitting them entirely.

Also the series is past the books now.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote:
Also the series is past the books now.
A lot of book readers have stopped watching the show because of that. It's unfortunate that GRRM takes so long to write.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Yeah, I've read enough of the Ice and Fire wiki to see the differences and follow the universe enough to know some of the stories not covered in GoT. I'll get around to reading the books at some point, but damn what a series.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Bryan Moore wrote:Yeah, I've read enough of the Ice and Fire wiki to see the differences and follow the universe enough to know some of the stories not covered in GoT. I'll get around to reading the books at some point, but damn what a series.
That is actually the way I started. TV show, then the various wikis because damn this is a complexed and developed world, the novellas, and finally the books.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Nutso wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:Yeah, I've read enough of the Ice and Fire wiki to see the differences and follow the universe enough to know some of the stories not covered in GoT. I'll get around to reading the books at some point, but damn what a series.
That is actually the way I started. TV show, then the various wikis because damn this is a complexed and developed world, the novellas, and finally the books.
The whole medieval nonsense never really appealed to me. Lord knows, I HATE Lord of the Rings with a passion equal to the hate the American Religious Right hates logic... But the Westerosian universe appeals to me so damn much.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

There has been some good and some bad through each season of GOTs. Now that we are headed into the final season, it does feel like they are done with all the extraneous subplots and are firmly rooted in delivering an ever quickening paced finale. Can't go wrong when the CGI gods are putting dragons in more episodes...finally!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I really don't have much use for fantasy (I'm the guy that gates Tolkein). Still, I went completely fanboy for the ice sragon!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Bryan Moore wrote:I really don't have much use for fantasy (I'm the guy that gates Tolkein). Still, I went completely fanboy for the ice sragon!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons: for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup" (Suzanne McMinn)
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Heh nice