horror comic book derivatives

Everything else
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

horror comic book derivatives

Post by Mikey »

OK, so there seems to be a growing trend in series based on eerie/horror/supernatural-themed comic books: the abortive "Hellblazer" on NBC, "Outcast" on Cinemax, "Preacher" on AMC, SyFy's "Wynonna Earp," Fox's "Lucifer," and probably one or two more that I'm forgetting. Now, these types of titles have always held a loyal but finite fringe audience within the comic-book world... so, any theories as to the recent spate of derivative television? And, what does anybody think will be next in line? I'd love to see a truly concerted attempt at Neil Gaiman's "Sandman," or Jamie Delano's "The Horrorist" or "Hell Eternal."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: horror comic book derivatives

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Much like with movies, I'd guess. There's so much television around now that they can't simply bank on a show attracting an audience by being good. They need something that comes with a built-in audience. Simple solution is to mine existing sources which are already popular.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: horror comic book derivatives

Post by Mikey »

Excellent point, and a good bit of marketing as well. I suppose my question is better put as, "Why that particular niche of the comic-book market?" The MCU I understand, the DC universe which is blowing up (but makes poorer films and TV, IMHO) I also understand, but that horror/weird/supernatural has always been a rather small fraction of that whole... enough so that DC even went on to create a special imprint so folks wouldn't associate those titles with mainstream DC.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer