Con Man

Everything else
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Con Man

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Anybody heard anything about this? From the trailer, it looks deeply weird and possibly very funny!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Con Man

Post by Mikey »

I have heard of this, and it looks absolutely hysterical. Obviously it appeals to me as a fan of Firefly, but even more generally than that the idea od taking a sarcastic poke at things appeals to me. One of the great moments, IMHO, in the "Percy Jackson" movies was when Nathan Fillion (as Hermes) discusses a fictional TV show in the movie and describes it as the best, which is why it was cancelled after one season.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Best line in the trailer : "She looks just like that gorgeous female Cylon! No, the other one... no, the other one. No, the OTHER one..."
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Ah that's great. I was smiling for all of it, but it actually got me laughing with the pigeon bit.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

OK, here's the clip of which I was thinking... love the fact that it's completely past the target audience of the film, and is there for completely sarcastic snarkiness.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

What I don't get is.....it seems the whole cast enjoyed working on Firefly/Serenity and I assume they wouldn't be opposed to working on another film (heck...almost the whole cast is in this one).

Why not just make another movie? Doesn't have to be a super expensive one imho if they keep the special effects resonable. Was Serenity such a failure that nobody is touching the franchise or is it down to rights issues?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Essentially, yes it was. Wikipedia says that on a budget of about $39 million, it took in about the same.

Thing is, from what I've heard, the cinemas keep a big chunk of the box office take - only a fraction of it goes back to the studio. Then you factor in what they spend on the distribution and marketing; by that time, a film needs to recoup around double the budget for the studio to so much as break even.

Which means the studio probably lost upwards of $15-20 million on Serenity. In box office, anyway - they will have recouped some of that with DVD sales, merchandising and TV rights. But they probably still lost a lot of money so no, nobody is going to be making any more Firefly movies, even if you did it on a low budget. The only way it would ever happen is if Joss funds something out of his own pocket, and I doubt even he likes Firefly that much.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Well...they managed to get a Veronica Mars film crowdfunded and I am not sure Veronica Mars has/had a larger fanbase.

So maybe they'd need to go the crowdfunding route. Luckily (or unfortunately for them) non of the cast seem to be super huge in hollywood - Fillion would probably the most expensive, luckily he really likes the role - so that should help keep costs down.

Of course a sci-fi movie will probalby cost a bit more than a Veronica Mars movie...just saying that might be an option.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Atekimogus wrote:Well...they managed to get a Veronica Mars film crowdfunded and I am not sure Veronica Mars has/had a larger fanbase.

So maybe they'd need to go the crowdfunding route. Luckily (or unfortunately for them) non of the cast seem to be super huge in hollywood - Fillion would probably the most expensive, luckily he really likes the role - so that should help keep costs down.

Of course a sci-fi movie will probalby cost a bit more than a Veronica Mars movie...just saying that might be an option.
This movie essentially is a Veronica Mars esq crowdfunded Firefly movie. So there you go.

For the real deal I wonder if we might see stuff more like that if Star Trek: Axanar is a success http://www.axanarproductions.com/

If they keep on schedule then next year we'll see what a million dollar sci fi movie can look like.