Everything else
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Official: X-Files returning to Fox for 6 episodes

Post by Nutso »

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/24/x- ... c67de0d305

Oh Gillian.

The truth is right here, and it’s amazing: After 13 years off the air, The X-Files is officially returning to Fox as a limited series.

Stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are back on board, along with creator Chris Carter.

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” Carter said. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

The only part of this huge news you might not like: There are only six episodes planned.

“We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of The X-Files – one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers – and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again,” said Dana Walden and Gary Newman, Chairmen and CEOs of Fox Television Group. “The X-Files was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture – yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as The X-Files, and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”

The sci-fi procedural classic first premiered in 1993. It became one of Fox’s first major breakout hits and a pop-culture sensation that went on to last nine seasons and spawn two feature films. The show also earned 16 Emmys and helped pave the way for other prime-time sci-fi shows like ABC’s Lost and Fox’s Fringe. Once again, the series will follow FBI special agents Scully (Anderson) and Mulder (Duchovny) as they investigate unexplained cases.

Carter’s “six stories” comment seems to suggest the series will embrace the show’s original format of focusing on stand-alone mysteries rather than delving into the serialized alien conspiracy mythology that dominated some of the show’s episodes and its first feature film (at least, that’s what I want to believe).

The move follows Fox reviving another one of its hits, 24, for a shortened run last year. The X-Files deal has been in the works since at least January when executives told reporters at the network’s press tour presentation that they were trying to revive the show.

The X-Files will start production this summer. There’s no premiere date yet, and no word if other cast members from the original series will return.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Official: X-Files returning to Fox for 6 episodes

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Six episodes, that's... odd. Never was a fan of the show, but hopefully it'll be good.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Better not be a continuation of the last season...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

6 episodes... So the made the show British?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I preferred their Monster-of-the-Week episodes over the series' Mythology.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nutso wrote:I preferred their Monster-of-the-Week episodes over the series' Mythology.
Hell yes. They seemed to pick up on some of the silliest aspects of the show for their long term story. A plague of killer bees, really?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Graham Kennedy wrote:.... A plague of killer bees, really?
Isn't that a real thing?
Bite my shiny metal ass
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Griffin wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:.... A plague of killer bees, really?
Isn't that a real thing?
Not really.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Monster of the week is what made it great.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Nutso wrote:I preferred their Monster-of-the-Week episodes over the series' Mythology.
Same. I lost track of the big series conspiracy arcs and stopped watching.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I liked the one with Bambi. That one was funny.

Also the one about the CGI woman killing people in games. Because she was super hot.

...I'm kind of shallow, sometimes.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I liked the inbred family episode.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I liked the one with Bambi. That one was funny.

Also the one about the CGI woman killing people in games. Because she was super hot.

...I'm kind of shallow, sometimes.
The funny ones were good (even though you singled those two episodes out because of the hot chicks). And she's Dr. Bambi. Another one funny one I like is the vampire episode with Luke Wilson, and it's told from Mulder and Scully's individual point-of-views. Another one is t he Lord Kinbote episode with a cameo by Alex Trebek.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nutso wrote:Another one is t he Lord Kinbote episode with a cameo by Alex Trebek.
Oh god yes, that one is fantastic. On of the weirdest and funniest.

Another great one is Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose. Superb mix of pathos and comedy about a man who can see the future with 100% accuracy. And one of the most chilling lines in the series :

Scully : "All right. So how do I die?"
Bruckman [Hesitating for a moment, looking at her oddly] : "You don't."

Actually X Files had more than one indication that Scully was immortal. Strange little quirk of the show.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

X_Files back to it's true home, Vancouver, British Columbia.

http://www.straight.com/blogra/419896/x ... -vancouver
The X-Files is coming back to television—and to the city where is all started.

In an interview with CTV, actor Willam B. Davis, who played the Smoking Man in the original series, confirmed that the conspiracy drama will be returning to Vancouver to film the new episodes. Series creator Chris Carter also confirmed his team would be returning to Vancouver in an interview with X-Files News.

On Tuesday (March 24), FOX announced that the sci-fi TV show has been revived for a six-episode run. The groundbreaking show was famously filmed in Vancouver and around the Lower Mainland during its first five seasons.

Actors David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson will both be reprising their roles as Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.

https://twitter.com/davidduchovny/statu ... 6878743554

The X-Files is not the only TV show to get a reboot in recent months. David Lynch's Twin Peaks is tentatively returning to the airwaves, while a "sequel" to the Craig T. Nelson-starring comedy Coach has been picked up for a 13-episode run on NBC.

An airdate for the new episodes has not yet been announced, which means you have plenty of time to binge-watch the previous nine seasons on Netflix.
Twin Peaks is back? And Coach? Is Jerry Van Dyke still alive?
Stan - South Park