The Strain (on FX)

Everything else
Jim
Captain
Captain

The Strain (on FX)

Post by Jim »

Apparently it is a trilogy of vampire books. However, NOT the type with a poor role model girl looking longingly into a sparkly vampire's eyes...

They just aired episode 7. Episode 1 had promise, but 2 through 7 were sllloooooowwwwww...

However...

It might have just saved itself from being deleted from my DVR queue. Watching the 7th episode and frankly not much has happened to move the story along. Most of the plot is quite clear, it has simply been uneventful and a bit boring. Frankly, the humans should not have much of a chance at all. Then the last 3 minutes of the episode... There appears to be some new players in town, led by Mr. Quinlan (Stephen McHattie). Whatever they are, they could make things... interesting.

The bad thing, Stephen McHattie does not have a credit for the Strain on his IMDB list... so hopefully him and his crew are more than just passing through.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: The Strain (on FX)

Post by Jim »

It is back on the one-and-done list. When you don't care about any of the characters and do not care if they live or die, including the kids, then it's probably not worth continuing. If this weekend's episode doesn't have a hook to keep me I will be removing it from the list.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've been watching it, and there's things I like about it and things that I not so much like about it.

The opening was good, but the idea of the surviving passengers just making a political call and then being able to just walk out of quarantine was absurd, especially in this day and age. And the press were shown to be following them... but then just vanished so that Vampire hijinks could happen unobserved. Silly.

I was intrigued by the idea that the first couple of episodes seemed to be going for, which was of a vampire infestation being treated like an actual disease, with the CDC and public health authorities taking the lead. Unfortunately after the first couple of episodes they pretty much dropped that - the government's official response seems to be to ignore it, if not actually cover it up, and instead we get an intrepid band of heroes working in secret. Yeah, not so impressed with that.

But it is keeping me watching, to see how it turns out. And I do like the vampires, who are properly nasty and monsterous, like a real vampire should be.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I've been watching it, and there's things I like about it and things that I not so much like about it.

The opening was good, but the idea of the surviving passengers just making a political call and then being able to just walk out of quarantine was absurd, especially in this day and age. And the press were shown to be following them... but then just vanished so that Vampire hijinks could happen unobserved. Silly.

I was intrigued by the idea that the first couple of episodes seemed to be going for, which was of a vampire infestation being treated like an actual disease, with the CDC and public health authorities taking the lead. Unfortunately after the first couple of episodes they pretty much dropped that - the government's official response seems to be to ignore it, if not actually cover it up, and instead we get an intrepid band of heroes working in secret. Yeah, not so impressed with that.

But it is keeping me watching, to see how it turns out. And I do like the vampires, who are properly nasty and monsterous, like a real vampire should be.
I like the vampsires looks and attitude (or whatever you want to call it) but I do not care for the giant tongue/tentacle thing.