Almost Human

Everything else
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Almost Human

Post by sunnyside »

It's a new series about a sort of cyberpunk future where cops are paired with androids. Episodes are online on fox and Hulu at the moment.

I really want to like it, but I'm annoyed at how the cops treat the tech whiz.

However the reason I'm venting about that here is it makes me appreciate Trek more. Trek is the only setting I can think of where the scientists and engineers really get to be the heroes and are accorded appropriate respect. Well, maybe MacGuyver in his manner. Abramsverse maybe less so though... speaking of which by chance the cop in the series is Karl Urban (i.e. new Bones)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Almost Human

Post by McAvoy »

I like it though it is a cliche cop show aside from the high techy stuff.

I have seen only the first two episodes but the guy who does the repair/maintaince on the androids seems to be ok.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Been enjoying it so far. Karl Urban does grumpy so well, and its a nice twist making the android the more human of the two.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I thinks it hits the ground running better than any show I've seen in years. The chemistry is present from the first episode, the action and SFX are solid, and the plots aren't super predictable. It has a lot of potential.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

McAvoy wrote:I like it though it is a cliche cop show aside from the high techy stuff.
After you've seen enough stuff it's hard to avoid things seeming like cliches or tropes.

So far the techy stuff seems to add a lot of interesting variation. I also like the flavor of advancement occuring at a somewhat out of control pace. That has supposedly been a theme within the cyberpunk genre since its inception, but typically it isn't actually done very well, meaning there are some new technologies at the start of the series of books, games, or shows, but then things largely stagnate from there.

Though we'll see how they do with it, I appreciate the difficulty in keeping that going.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Liking this so far, overall. The two leads are very good, especially the robot dude.

The tech stuff is very, but I do wonder if they aren't going to end up tying themselves in knots. It's easy to throw things in one episode that are cool, but it can lead to a lot of "But why don't they just use that thing they had a few weeks back to resolve this situation?" Trek was famous for introducing technical weirdness that would be fabulously useful, only to then drop it. I hope this doesn't go down the same path.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Liking this so far, overall. The two leads are very good, especially the robot dude.

The tech stuff is very, but I do wonder if they aren't going to end up tying themselves in knots. It's easy to throw things in one episode that are cool, but it can lead to a lot of "But why don't they just use that thing they had a few weeks back to resolve this situation?" Trek was famous for introducing technical weirdness that would be fabulously useful, only to then drop it. I hope this doesn't go down the same path.
We'll see how they manage, but they seem to have already added in a flavor of obsolescence. Subcutaneous wire? Now worthless. Nanotrasmitter things...already depreciated. I'd be willing to accept that the cops aren't vulnerable to that gas stuff by the fifth episode and so I wouldn't be bothered if we don't see it again. So on and so forth.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

I thought it was weird in this episode how they could know all about holography being able to mimic faces (from the earlier episode) but have the premise of the episode being that eyewitness testimony is still key.

But then I thought about
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythb ... ttakes.htm
and
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... e-man.html#

So I guess maybe the idea is the same as now. Something along the lines of it being expensive and not coming up.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I have been catching up and a new theme is genetic engineering of a human to create a near new race with no imperfections and even greater intelligence. The hit girl is one. Makes it interesting.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"