Nominate the coolest ships in sci fi

Everything else
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Nominate the coolest ships in sci fi

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, they're not fighting. They're showing off their cool lines. 8)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Found this cant say I agree with most of it. Top 100 ships in sci-fi.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Found this cant say I agree with most of it. Top 100 ships in sci-fi.
Okay, the Millennium Falcon, star destroyer and friggin' Eagle transporter above the Enterprise? Bullshit.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Okay, the Millennium Falcon, star destroyer and friggin' Eagle transporter above the Enterprise? Bullshit.
That was ny reaction, and about as far as I got before closing the page.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
John Wain
Petty officer first class

Post by John Wain »

Having read through this thread (and the list posted a few months back in the above post), I realised just how little of SF I've seen. Time was an issue there, I guess.

I did see everything Star Trek and Stargate though, so my favorite ships come from these shows.

Perhaps my all-time winner in Star Trek is the Enterprise-E. It's up quite a notch from the Enterprise-D design, it is slicker and looks more predator-ish (by Starfleet standards).

In Stargate, I enjoyed the design of most of the ships, and it is hard to pick a winner. I think I will go for two of them:

- the mothership of Anubis. Not only does it look menacing and all-powerful, but by the time we get to see it, we already know just how dangerous an enemy Anubis is. This adds to the feeling a great deal. In this photo, the ship is surrounded by smaller Ha'tak vessels:

- the Destiny starship made by the Ancients. The design is gorgeous and the whole idea behind this ship being launched millions of years ago, driving around on autopilot and containing all the wealth of information makes it special in my eyes:

When it comes to real spaceflight-capable vessels, the Saturn V rocket was high on my list ever since I was a kid. Seeing it up close and personal in the TOS episode 'Assignment: Earth' was great. :wink:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I do like the Destiny ship, loved that series.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:I do like the Destiny ship, loved that series.
Seconded.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
John Wain

Post by John Wain »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Seconded.
I loved SG:Universe as well, although it was quite different in tone from the previous SG-1 and Atlantis series. I found the acting very convincing, very natural - however I think we are in a minority. Most reviews are rather negative...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I liked it a hell of a lot more than Atlantis, which was only tolerable in the latter seasons, worst, villains, ever.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Never got past SG: 1, but that does look like a cool ship. :)
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

John Wain wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
Seconded.
I loved SG:Universe as well, although it was quite different in tone from the previous SG-1 and Atlantis series. I found the acting very convincing, very natural - however I think we are in a minority. Most reviews are rather negative...

Too bad they drop SG Universe, IMHO it was a pretty good show, specially if you compared it with VOY.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The thing I loved iis there was no reset button, damage stayed with the ship, was shown week to week, was a problem, and you could see it effecting their lives.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SomosFuga wrote:Too bad they drop SG Universe, IMHO it was a pretty good show, specially if you compared it with VOY.
If that isn't damning with faint praise I don't know what is.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well probably because when you first watch it, it was slow. It was almost literally a day to day operation of that ship. That was how it was more or less meant to be. I also got a sense of 'what now' in the idea of they are millions of light years across the universe. Not much else. To be honest it would be like if someone would video tapea crew on board a naval ship for a deployment and air each day or two as a episode. That is how I got that feeling out of it.

On a second watching while able to watch episodes back to back you can see what they were trying to do. Honestly they could have cut back some of those episodes.

Overall, it didn't feel like a Stargate series. SG-1 was almost like a Sci fi lite compared to the rest. Atlantis was a mess but still within that idea that many liked. SGU was vaguely familiar to that. That turned off a lot of people.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

John Wain wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
Seconded.
Other than it possibly being the most boring scifi show ever...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...