Nominate the coolest ships in sci fi

Everything else
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Nominate the coolest ships in sci fi

Post by Teaos »

Hardly, it was more suspense than action, and people expected action, so were let down
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:Hardly, it was more suspense than action, and people expected action, so were let down
It was slow. People expected what SG-1 and SG-A was and didn't get it.

I wouldn't say boring but it was slow.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Agreed.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Jim wrote:
Other than it possibly being the most boring scifi show ever...
You appear to have mistaken it with Torchwood: Miracle Day
Bite my shiny metal ass
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

McAvoy wrote:
Teaos wrote:Hardly, it was more suspense than action, and people expected action, so were let down

It was slow yes. And not as funny like SG1 or SGA but they but, what woud you have done? Another show exactly like the other 2?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

SomosFuga wrote:
McAvoy wrote:

It was slow yes. And not as funny like SG1 or SGA but they but, what woud you have done? Another show exactly like the other 2?
Did I say exactly like the other two?

No. SGU is nearly 100% different in nearly everything. At times, the only thing that reminds you it is a Stargate series is every once in awhile they use a Stargate. Between it being slow and to many boring, it just didn't feel like a Stargate series.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They did continually reference the ancients, and told their story, which I liked.

John Wain
Petty officer first class

Post by John Wain »

Personally I was very satisfied with how the Stargate world evolved. Going back from season 10 of SG-1 to the first episodes of season 1, I realised just how much everything had grown, solidified and expanded with the years.

'Atlantis' was in my opinion entertaining and strove for some realism. For example Sheppard's killing of enemies who try to take the city (on multiple occasions) was as close as a show for the general public could get to a real life situation. I mean - all that 'let's try to catch the enemies, give them a pat on the back and send them on their way' that I've seen in so many other shows (not necessarily SF) is appalling. I would imagine in a life-and-death situation, if someone's trying to conquer my base and I am a soldier, then I'll try to meet them with deadly force.

And 'Universe' - again I seem to be having a higher tolerance to change than others who complained about the series being divergent form the norm. Even though it was very different from the other two series, I found the concept very much to my liking and I could relate it to the Stargate mythology. In my opinion it adds to it. It is just another take on the same matter. Another brick in the wall - different, but necessary to complete the grand picture.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

SG did have a great evolution over time, and while watching it, it seemed well paced... until you realise they went from nothing to the Promethius in 10 fucking years...

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:SG did have a great evolution over time, and while watching it, it seemed well paced... until you realise they went from nothing to the Promethius in 10 fucking years...
Shorter than that. Prometheus was in I think five or six years. Though the ship had issues until the end of season 7.

By Atlantis they are building multiples of Daedalus at the same time.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It seemed well paced at the time, with them doing several versions and starting with that glider, but looking back, it was a massive progression in a short time. The logistics and industry involved was huge, and all but impossible to cover up, even if you compartmentalized the building.

John Wain

Post by John Wain »

I agree with the fact that the budget for all that ship-building would have been enormous and difficult to cover up, but probably not impossible.

However, the Tau'ri building faster-than-light spaceships is relatively easy to accept, seeing how they took alien technologies and had the help of the Asgard.

But the problem is rather with them becoming 'the Fifth race'. I think humans had the potential to be the fifth race somewhere along the line, but actually stating that they are at the end of season 10 is a massive overstatement. In order for them to stand beside the Ancients, Asgard, Nox and Furlings, their own technology should be at those levels, and all human race should be aware of what was going on. Instead, there is just a handful of people who know extraterrestrial civilizations exist!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

The cover-up in later seasons was one of the biggest things I disliked about the Stargate franchise. I'm a guy who likes an unmasked world, for the most part.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:It seemed well paced at the time, with them doing several versions and starting with that glider, but looking back, it was a massive progression in a short time. The logistics and industry involved was huge, and all but bring impossible to cover up, even if you compartmentalized the building.
Problem is raw materials with the ship to begin with. It is established that certain raw minerals not found on Earth is needed for the 303 and 304. So that means of world mini golf operations which we saw. But how much could they bring up though the roof of the Stargate room?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Having the Stargate go global would of been a better arc than the Ori.