Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Everything else
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Jim »

I wouldn't call it geared towards kids, but it is not adult either. Basically, it is good enough for me to keep watching, but not good enough for me to suggest anyone else watch.

The jet did something new yesterday. The wings and engines tilted for hover/VTOL capabilities. The wash from the jets was also used as a "weapon" to blow people away. Next week's episode is supposed to be directly connected to the new Thor movie. There will not be any of the movie stars in it but it will be connected. They seem to be developing a couple story lines that could be interesting. If this was a stand alone show, not connected to the Marvel universe, just a show about a weird CIA type group, I would probably have stopped watching. However, as it is part of a universe that I enjoyed I am giving it extra rope. It was possible to go a couple month worth of comics and not really love any of the stories so I am willing to hold out a little.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I think it's had trouble with the chemistry of the cast until about episode 5, and they really should include more low-end Marvel characters that will never show up in the films. The main problem I have with it is the "problem/monster/artifact of the week" formula. I grew tired of that on a lot of shows such as X-Files, early Buffy, and more recently, Haven. There should be a larger idea in play from the get-go on a big-concept show like this. They have it to some degree, but not as much as I'd like.

Also, I like the Mobile Command Center. They mention in the pilot that it's an older design from the '90s.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I find the opposite. It is the large season spanning arcs that tend to cause disinterest for me. The newest example is that I stopped watching the Mentalist because of the Red John arc. I just didn't care anymore so any time they were dealing with that storyline I lost interest.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I've watched a couple episodes of it and I'm distinctly meh on the whole thing. I'm not sure what I expected but I was wanting more comic-booky stuff than this. This is very much like people probing around the edges of the marvel universe and I was hoping for something that would be more in the middle of it all. I get why they can't, the movie franchise is still going on and if they got seriously involved you'd inevitably fuck something up continuity wise. It just doesn't feel very super-heroic. Weirdness happens, they investigate, 44 minutes later its over. Eh.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

However, don't forget a lot of comic book stories are over in 1 issue, maybe 2. That's is only about 20-40 pages of story.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm not talking about length, I'm talking about content. I want more heros, more villains, women in spandex, odd stuff happening. I want it to feel like the Marvel universe and these guys are on the front line of dealing with it. Right now it feels like the second string of a farm team being allowed to mess with little inconsequential stuff on the periphery of it all.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Anyone still watching this show?

I just recently started and I must say I quite like it. Now I gather it isn't to popular with hardcore fans but why is that? I mean, it's a TV show without the budget and without the big names of the movies, so it is pretty much exatcly what I expected.

On the contrary, I was pleasently surprised that there were quite a few cameos so far.

Also I quite like the "monster/problem of the week" formula (which unfortunaly is now gone). It is actually quite nice for once to have a story/problem solved within an episode and NOT have EVERY fucking episode end on a cliffhanger. And while in the beginning the whole show was pretty much carried by Coulson, the team (especially FitzSimmons) has grown on me enough that I would tune in even without a huge overarching convoluted plot. (Clairvoyant...ugh....who cares? I hate those kind of things.)

The only downside so far imho is that the humour that was present during the first few episodes is pretty much gone now, it's much more serious now which imho is a bit unfortunate, and that we probably won't see Coulson in the movies anymore. That's a shame imho since now that they have the movies and the show, it feels like Coulson, one of the former top agents, is pretty much sidelined when the really big things (the movies) happen. That sucks a bit, I admit.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'm still watching, and I think the second half of this season has improved dramatically.

I gather the last two episodes of this season are set before and after the Winter Soldier movie, and explore the setup and aftermath of what happened in it. That should be very, very interesting.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I'm still watching, and I think the second half of this season has improved dramatically.

I gather the last two episodes of this season are set before and after the Winter Soldier movie, and explore the setup and aftermath of what happened in it. That should be very, very interesting.
Agreed. The show got off to a slow start but I am digging the intrigue and I'm anxiously looking forward to seeing how the Winter Soldier fallout affects the series.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Hmm...so you have to watch The Winter Soldier before or you risk spoiling the movie?

Good to know. I better stop watching then, until I have seen it. (whigh might be a while....I like marvel films...but mostly I only get the bluray...to much...people... giving live commentary in the cinemas imho)
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Spoiling the movie? The story is about 10 years old... Captain America wins... the bad guys loose. but....

I like the show because as someone that was always very into Marvel Comics (boooo DC) it is nice to see stories of the little people or the people behind he scenes. It is like... the episode of B5 that revolved around the two maintenance guys... only more than one episode :)
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

By the way, just occured to me, now that How I met your MOther is over, maybe we see more Cobie Smulders in Agents of Shield. Hope they are clever and make her at least a semi-regular on the show.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Jim wrote:Spoiling the movie? The story is about 10 years old... Captain America wins... the bad guys loose. but....
I don't know if you've seen it and are being Ironic*, but having seen both, this episode does indeed contain a major spoiler for Cap 2. Almost "I am your father" level IMO. The thing is it's also a major spoiler for the rest of the Series as well.

I sarted watching last week (from the beginning and caught up as opposed to starting with that one) and i'm enjoying it. Excited to see the fallout of Cap 2 and the latest episode.

*In some wrong sense of the word, probably.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

In the opening of this weeks episode Hill is on the phone talking about government groups. She says something very close to, "Congress... it like a kindergarten. They keep asking questions like 'Who or what is a Man-Thing?'" YES! I admittedly love this show because of my history with Marvel Comics... but damn I love this show, ha!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Josh Whedon love.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.