Revolution

Everything else
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Revolution

Post by Tyyr »

You know, I could roll with a bullshit explanation if the bullshit explanation actually adequately explained things.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

How would you feel about, reason X? They say there is a reason, something technical, but leave it vague.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:How would you feel about, reason X? They say there is a reason, something technical, but leave it vague.
I would be all for it. But I would have liked to see them not treat this thing like the whole world was merely just shut off for a day or two as opposed to 15 years. Some onscreen line that says there people being employed to maintain certain equipment just in case.

The power lines themselves should have been gone. I mean every single recent sized storm will knock down a power line or two.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Teaos wrote:How would you feel about, reason X? They say there is a reason, something technical, but leave it vague.
What Trek does? Sure. Hell, in a situation like this you have to make it vague because really you're talking about magic. Nanites sucking up the electricity is just nonsense. First off, just having enough of them to blanket the ENTIRE planet. Secondly, when it comes to powerplants it's ridiculous. Nanites are microscopic machines. Guess what happens to a machine smaller than a grain of sand when it tries to absorb 450 megawatts at about 10,000 amps? It and a few trillion of it's buddies are quite literally vaporized. That's just one powerplant. How the holy hell are you going to make enough nanites to throw themselves in front of the output of every powerplant in the world? That is like trying to stop a hurricane by training house flies to flap their wings and make a wind in the opposite direction. Then there's enough of these little bastards to soak up electricity everywhere? Not just powerplants? And there are enough of them everywhere to keep doing this fifteen years later?

And again, why don't diesel engines work? Diesel's don't have spark plugs. If you could get one cranked over by hand it will run just fine without ANY electricity.

Hell, if you want to get really pissy what about static electricity? Lightning? What about electrical transmission in living tissues? They're not particularly powerful but what about the electrical impulses in our brains? Muscles? Hell, how do those pendants work? While they're on sure but once you turn it off how does it ever turn back on?

And again, like McAvoy says, there's no way you're going to rebuild anything after it's been shut down for 15 years. Especially if it's just shut down with no warning and not laid up properly.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree. At first I thought 'oh ok so nanites is causing this' then I realized that in order for to actually work those nanites would be so numerous we should be able to see them.

I think they should have kept it like some natural disaster and people are only starting to figure it all out which is where those USB thingies do. Keep the natural disaster vague enough so it doesn't sound like bullshit.

Oh and those nanites? They apparently heal people too. Broken bones, cuts, etc.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

You don't even really have to make it that vague. Ugh, I am completely blanking on it but, Coronal Mass Ejection? A solar phenomena powerful enough that it could in theory start frying things like transformers and delicate electronics. A powerful one would more or less wipe our technology out.

The downside is it's utterly ruined, there's no turning it back on and it won't keep diesels from working.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Anything big enough to blanket the whole planet with EMP. Problem is that they can rebuild from that as opposed to the series premise was electricity doesn't work at all.

I forgot the last episode showed Crazy Bad Guy in the middle of a field when all of a sudden a super lightning storm hits right after the power is turned back on again. Perhaps nanites have been suppressing lightning?