Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Revolution

Post by Teaos »

Quantum.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Or just about anything else since you can't turn of energy or the universe wouldn't exist anymore.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Deepcrush wrote:Or just about anything else since you can't turn of energy or the universe wouldn't exist anymore.
Some sort of weapon or device that did it. Maybe a dampening field of some kind

Fuck it: quantum.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

It would be fine if it were something that interfered with items or projected a constant EMP. However the idea you just turn off energy is beyond stupid.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Turn off certain kinds of energy. Combustion is messed up. Not just petrol engines that need spark plugs but even diesels don't work. Oddly enough fires and guns still work so... fuck if I know.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:Turn off certain kinds of energy. Combustion is messed up. Not just petrol engines that need spark plugs but even diesels don't work. Oddly enough fires and guns still work so... fuck if I know.
Wood fired trains work too.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

But internal combustion doesn't because....?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I told you, quantum.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

So... steam powered engines work. To me it seems like the people gave up and accepted it as opposed to figuring an alternative.

It also seems to be anti aging too.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

nanites are sucking up the electricity and it looks like it is an accident. In the finale they turned the power back on and it was as if they turned the power off yesterday not 15 years ago.
The series basically gives no explanation on how machinery or the more fragile electrical wiring works after 15 years when it is used again.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

When I saw the trailers for this, I thought to myself "I just bet that the explanation for this electricity thing is something that will turn out to be really, really stupid and badly thought out."

In fact it seemed like such a completely ridiculous premise, and I had so little faith in their ability to make a reasonable job of it, that I never watched a single episode. Why waste time and get invested in a show that is almost certain to disappoint in the end?

And now I see I was right. Such a shame.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

For me it is just a show to watch or put up for background noise. That's all. I can deal with the nanites and the super advanced weapons but I cant deal with that everything works just fine after 15 years worth of dirt and rust.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

McAvoy wrote:
nanites are sucking up the electricity and it looks like it is an accident. In the finale they turned the power back on and it was as if they turned the power off yesterday not 15 years ago.
The series basically gives no explanation on how machinery or the more fragile electrical wiring works after 15 years when it is used again.
Ok, great. Why don't diesel engines work?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Magic.

There have been episodes where they showed steam powered converted buses and trains.

Also what about lightning? I am no expert but wouldn't lightning be gone too?
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Piffle, any open flame will do, kerosene, veggie oil, alcohol and anything flammable for a wick.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington