Is Game of Thrones the most boring and overrated show on TV?

Everything else
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Is Game of Thrones the most boring and overrated show on

Post by kostmayer »

Hated that little fecker ever since Batman Begins.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Babylon 5 at least had humor and ... individual story lines in each episode. Something adding some variety. If every episode of B5 took place in the council room with everyone just talking... then it would parallel rather well.

I keep bringing up the incest because it sex has a huge role in the show, more so than the swords that the throne is made of. And, up until I stopped watching the show "ichy" sex was the norm, every episode.

In a thread started to discuss the show negatively, wouldn't "trolling" actually be speaking positively of the show..? Were this a thread discussing how great the show was and I was posting opposing opinions... then I would be trolling. Being that I started this thread saying that I really disliked the show... continuing to do so can not logically be called trolling. However, I do not call any of it trolling, I consider it discussing opposing opinions. I also asked for someone to explain what people see in the show and the best so far was the comment "Its not called the Game of Blood and Gore and Cool Sword Fights" Nothing else has come close to even denting the poo-level of the show. Saying that it is close to the books or not close to the books does not make the show any better.

It is quite easy to start a "Game of Thrones is a rather entertaining show" thread... which I will be happy to not so called "troll"
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

In other words. You want to bash the show. That is all.

Again, that is all you are doing. Everything you have described can directly be attributed to any other show on TV right now.

Also you can easily troll in anything. What you have been doing is bordering on that for awhile now.

You haven't even described why anyway. Soap operas, talking heads and incest. Gotcha. Care to elaborate or will you continue to call it a poo show?

This might be the first thread of its kind on the forum. Hmmm... maybe I should start a anti Dexter and anti Tru Blood thread? Maybe other ones too. I find 99% of anime boring too.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Best way to start a thread like this would be asking why do we like it and the explain why you don't like it. Not be juvenile about it like icky sex and no action. Not just continue to bash it and then basically accuse those of is who do like it as being a bunch of idiots for watching it. Because after all to you it is a poo show.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:maybe I should start a anti Dexter ... thread?
I'll kill you! :chopper:
McAvoy wrote:Maybe other ones too. I find 99% of anime boring too.
You're fired!

Seriously, you could argue that the pacing is slow, for sure. I think they do a great job of building anticipation and fleshing out characters. my biggest problem with the show (and the books, from what I understand) is that they spend all of this time developing these characters, and then proceed to kill them off. All of them. In meaningless ways. I feel that it's a cheap tactic, as a writer, to kill off everyone. It's almost like everything we watched (or read) was pointless to a degree. Khal Drogo and the Dothraki plot went nowhere, except to build on Daenerys' character and give her the dragon eggs. Like five distinct characters that all meant pretty much nothing in the end. Ned Stark's death at least had political implications, but the manner of his death was reprehensible. Renly Baratheon? Pointless. He did nothing, and really added nothing to the plot, except to make Stannis and the red witch look evil. Ooh, an openly gay main character with a major stake in the affairs going on! Maybe he can use his positive influence to... nope, dead. And so on. It seems like the bad guys walk away unharmed every time (except for Theon Greyjoy, who turned evil at the drop of a hat, siding with his asshole of a father over the family who treated him well for most of his life), and by the time they build the good guys up to the point that they can make a move, they're dead.

In conclusion, most of the deaths seem random and pointless, and at the rate they're going (Red Wedding), there won't be any good guys left except for Jon Snow and Arya... who are both emotionally stunted, and weak of will. The only exception is Tyrion Lannister, and he also lacks the ability to seize power from his evil family. So what if the White Walkers invade and kill every one in Westeros? All of the noble, good characters I invested in are dead, or will be soon. The end of the show will be the Walkers slaughtering the Lannisters, and assorted new characters we barely know.

...And that's how you post a negative critique of a show, whether you hate it or love it (I'm in between, honestly).
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is how you make a negative review of something instead of just saying its a boring poo poo show with incest and people talking.

I do think fans are waiting on the Red Wedding because that is big point on whether they will keep with the book or not.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I dont think they can avoid it, to gloss over it would be a massive change from canon.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I don't tank they can either. Though to me it did change the whole dynamic of the books.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

McAvoy wrote:This might be the first thread of its kind on the forum. Hmmm... maybe I should start a anti Dexter and anti Tru Blood thread? Maybe other ones too. I find 99% of anime boring too.
Go ahead, why not? Why would threads/discussions about a show have to be all strawberries and cream and rainbows shooting out of puppy dog buts? Thinking that something is bad is just as valid of an opinion, and just as valid of a reason fro a topic/discussion as thinking that something is good.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Why would I do that? When I review a series I will point out flaws and strengths and interesting and other stuff. I may even try to find a good thing about the series if I found it lacking. But what I will not do is go to say it is the most boring TV series on the air. Then go five pages and just saying since it has incest it is icky.

You have yet to tell us what would have made the show better. All we got is incest is icky, boring and soap opera/ talking heads and nudity.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Seriously, how does it not get boring if not for the trolling? I bitch at length about Mass Effect 3 and Sim City 5, incredible length, but it's because Iove the series and I try and offer praise where its due and ways to make it better. Something I just hate? I rip it then forget it, not start entire threads to rip it more. Sim City Societies? I could write one or two paragraphs at most about it and that's it.

The only reason to go on about something like this is either 1) Trolling 2) ... ok that's trolling too.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Trolling - we will have to agree to disagree on the definition.

However, in order to keep peace throughout the universe... I will stop posting my opinion on the show... in my own thread...

:angel1:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

People can make threads that is negative about a show or a thing and be considered trolling. I could mimic you for example about Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, Doctor Who, anime, Lord of the Rings, any comic book character or storyline. Would that be considered trolling?

Or would me making even a detailed negative review of the show and perhaps in replies have my own thoughts instead of posting the same thing over and over again?

I would like to see a legitimate review of what you dislike about it instead of it is a poo poo show with icky incest and talking heads. Or even asking questions.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I can tell you why I don't like it. Its fantasy. For some reason, I never found that interesting as a genre, unless its tied to something else (historical and sci fi fantasy can be fun IMO).

But, this is simply personal taste, and has nothing to do with the quality of the show's writing (which from what I've read is better than most TV shows based on another source).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

stitch626 wrote:I can tell you why I don't like it. Its fantasy. For some reason, I never found that interesting as a genre, unless its tied to something else (historical and sci fi fantasy can be fun IMO).

But, this is simply personal taste, and has nothing to do with the quality of the show's writing (which from what I've read is better than most TV shows based on another source).

Then History Channel's Vikings is up your alley then.

Come to think of it, it is up Jim's alley too.