Is Game of Thrones the most boring and overrated show on TV?

Everything else
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Is Game of Thrones the most boring and overrated show on

Post by Jim »

I could see it being trooling if someone started a thread praising the show and I jumped in blasting it... but as I started the thread as a negative option of the show... I don't think it qualifies. But I could be wrong.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Jim wrote:I could see it being trooling if someone started a thread praising the show and I jumped in blasting it... but as I started the thread as a negative option of the show... I don't think it qualifies. But I could be wrong.
Agreed.

As an aside, I've heard a lot of people complain about The Walking Dead being boring for a lot of the same reasons you listed for GoT. Have you ever seen that show?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I heard the same thing. That some epiosdes there are no zombies or kills... thats what I like about it. Its not written to the formula, zombies, hot chick, fluff, zombies, lots of zombies, screaming, death.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Jim wrote:I could see it being trooling if someone started a thread praising the show and I jumped in blasting it... but as I started the thread as a negative option of the show... I don't think it qualifies. But I could be wrong.
Agreed.

As an aside, I've heard a lot of people complain about The Walking Dead being boring for a lot of the same reasons you listed for GoT. Have you ever seen that show?
To be honest, I also stopped watching that show. Which is even more odd as I belong to a zombie club... I did not like a lot of the decision making they did as far as zombie-proofing and how they react to situations and such. Every now and then I put it on to give it a try and each time I have moved off the channel. The last time I gave it a shot was when they first got to the prison and were clearing it. How do you clear an area and move on without looking in all of the rooms? They eventually bumped into a group of zeds, turned to run away and oops... there were a bunch more behind them because they didn't look in all of the rooms. Seriously? You guys are supposed to be the survivors. You are supposed to be beyond the bad decision making stage... those people are dead (undead), you are alive because you are smart enough to be alive... Eh.

:bangwall:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah the stupidy to add drama is annoying. I could have cleared that whole prison with three guys and a crowbar.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well it annoyed me was that Carl was the only one who grabbed medical supplies when everyone looked at a bloody stump. But then again Carl has always been on his own little program since day one.

No show is perfect. Any of us can point out the flaws in any show. So can the flaws be over looked?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Carl is probably the most level headed person in the entire show. It wouldn't have shocked me if he'd off'd Axel when he'd started to get creepy with Beth.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Carl used to annoy me but then I started ti realize that he can't be a kid anymore and Lori is just a shitty mother.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Lori was an amazingly bad mother and overall waste of space. She added nothing but drama to the group. I'm still amazed that people defend the character.
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

Back to the original topic....

I would say you are in the minority of people that don't like 'Thrones, based on the lack of people supporting your initial opinion. I respect your right to express your opinion, although I don't share it. I doubt there is anything anyone here can say that will suddenly reverse your opinion, or you changing the 'rest of us'. I hope you find something more to your liking, and in this regard, we'll stick to what we like...
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Yeah, I simply removed it from my queue... I had just thought that maybe a light could be turned on for me so that I could understand the appeal of the show. Paraphrasing my beer group, if you like it watch it and don't let anyone tell you that you are wrong. But that does not mean that everyone feels the same way nor does it mean that you can not discuss the topic with people that hold the opposing opinion.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Have you read the books? I really enjoyed them, he has no idea what a character shield is.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Absolutely no character shield. No favorites either. All characters go through some sort of hell if they haven't been killed yet.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Highjacking this thread.

Just started watching this from season 1 again after reading the books again.

For as well as it follows the stories, and how good the sets are, and how well the actors fit their characters. I find the props department and costumes really dropped the ball, they need the guys who did lord of the rings. The armor for the kings guard is really really boring, its supposed to be resplentent white, not plain and faded.

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've been watching this for the last week or so at the rate of two episodes a day - now into season 2. Never seen it before, never read the books.

Overall, I'm enjoying it. I liked that it was a fantasy setting without the really fantastical elements - I liked the LOTR films but it all got a bit much with the constant stream of magic and monsters and demons and whatnot. Thrones was a series about actual people doing the kind of things that actual people do out of greed and malice and loyalty and real stuff like that. I appreciated that a lot.

And what I liked was that the fantastical elements were just kind of in the background, and not used for plot resolution purposes. The Wall doesn't solve people's problems, it's just there as an element of the landscape. The dragons were mentioned but as as something from the past that's no longer an issue, not as something that drove the story as such.

Now in season 2 the magic level is ramping up and all that is changing, which is a shame really. Like the last episode I watched, there's an important standoff going on and then one of the leaders gets whacked by this magic shadow thing, right out of the blue. Well what's the point of setting up a situation like that only to pull an answer out your ass that the audience couldn't see coming? And they seem to be doing it more and more... it's no different to Voyager solving their problem of the week by remodulating the deflector dish to quantum the anomaly out of existence.

But I'm sticking with it and still liking it overall.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...