Is Game of Thrones the most boring and overrated show on TV?

Everything else
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Is Game of Thrones the most boring and overrated show on

Post by McAvoy »

Your opinion. Move on now.

Point is this show is heavily based on the books. It is the most loyal adaption of a series of books I have seen in a long time.

This isnt a soap opera. The pacing isn't to your liking. Well go watch something else. Saying it is bad doesn't mean it is a bad show. Only to you.

I mean so far from what I gather what you want is blood, no story and action.

Sorry that isn't the Game of Thrones. The freaking title States it all. Its not called the Game of Blood and Gore and Cool Sword Fights.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Jim wrote:So... the first scene of the first episode... then two years later... just adding gas to the fire of how bad this show is.
Jim, you don't get it. That's ok. But seriously, shut the fuck up.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Tyyr wrote:
Jim wrote:So... the first scene of the first episode... then two years later... just adding gas to the fire of how bad this show is.
Jim, you don't get it. That's ok. But seriously, shut the fuck up.
Um... technically... I started this tread as a negative discussion on the show. Therefore, I do believe it is within full rights for me to continue to discuss the show negatively.

Hence...

I do get it: The show is boring and lacks anything of value unless you like talking heads and incest. I totally understand that. What I do not get is how anyone with actual taste in entertainment can watch this swill.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

McAvoy wrote: The freaking title States it all. Its not called the Game of Blood and Gore and Cool Sword Fights.
I wasn't aware that Thrones just meant talking and having sex with relatives. So, using your logic the show should be called The Game of chit-chat in West Virginia.

Also, the throne in the title card is covered in swords, not a bunch of microphones. The first scene in the show was those demon/zombie things killing a bunch of soldiers, not them sitting around having tea.

I didn't expect, or want, a show of credits-to-credits battles. But I did expect at lease SOME excitement and characters that you could give a poo about. I got neither.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

No, but it doesn't make you any less of a troll at this point. Given how you've spent the entire thread bashing the show at every mention and focusing on one aspect (ewww incest icky) I seriously doubt you care why anyone likes the show but just want a chance to take cheap shots at it and anyone who likes it. So yeah, troll.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:No, but it doesn't make you any less of a troll at this point. Given how you've spent the entire thread bashing the show at every mention and focusing on one aspect (ewww incest icky) I seriously doubt you care why anyone likes the show but just want a chance to take cheap shots at it and anyone who likes it. So yeah, troll.
Yep. My point exactly. Not a single positive thing said so far. Just focusing on negative things.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Jim wrote:I do get it: The show is boring and lacks anything of value unless you like talking heads and incest. I totally understand that. What I do not get is how anyone with actual taste in entertainment can watch this swill.
There is no such thing as "taste in entertainment". Or rather there is, but there is no such thing as objectively good or objectively bad taste in entertainment. There is merely "what I like" and "what I don't like".

Personally like "talking heads" just fine... if what they are talking about is interesting. Which it usually is, in Game of Thrones. And I like incest just fine... if it is part of a good plot, which it is in Game of Thrones.

Actually I was saying earlier that Game of Thrones reminds me a lot of Babylon 5. Right now it's the individual kingdoms fighting... but at the same time we have ancient powers stirring from a long period of quiescence - dragons and white walkers rather than Vorlons and Shadows. I am wondering whether what we've seen is just a prelude to the real events to come. Can't wait to find out - and I don't think there's been a series since B5 that had this kind of epic feel to it, either. I'm hooked.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mind fixing the quote there Graham?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Crapola, sorry about mixing up the quotes there. Fixed.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Jim wrote:I do get it: The show is boring and lacks anything of value unless you like talking heads and incest. I totally understand that. What I do not get is how anyone with actual taste in entertainment can watch this swill.
There is no such thing as "taste in entertainment". Or rather there is, but there is no such thing as objectively good or objectively bad taste in entertainment. There is merely "what I like" and "what I don't like".

Personally like "talking heads" just fine... if what they are talking about is interesting. Which it usually is, in Game of Thrones. And I like incest just fine... if it is part of a good plot, which it is in Game of Thrones.

Actually I was saying earlier that Game of Thrones reminds me a lot of Babylon 5. Right now it's the individual kingdoms fighting... but at the same time we have ancient powers stirring from a long period of quiescence - dragons and white walkers rather than Vorlons and Shadows. I am wondering whether what we've seen is just a prelude to the real events to come. Can't wait to find out - and I don't think there's been a series since B5 that had this kind of epic feel to it, either. I'm hooked.
I agree with Graham, but then, I set that hook he is talking about :mrgreen: .
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Problem I see is what he describes as Game of Thrones can be directly transferred to majority of the TV series out there. The best series that he describes as entertaining to him is Spartacus, like I have said before. Lots of action, some talk and no incest.

Wait nevermind. Spartacus Vengeance did have a brief incest-implied brother sister relationship before the brother was killed. So you can nix that example.

Maybe he wanted an epic medieval/fantasy TV series of huge armies fighting each other with flying dragons and giants and dinosaurs and stuff? The fact that the series turned out to be a more political drama than fantasy action show was a huge disappointment?

Lastly, there is no 'standard' for quality and non quality TV shows. Basically they survive on the amount of people who like the show. Not if it is a quality show or not.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I have to agree this is one of the most loyal adaptions of a book I've seen. I don't see how it can be called slow paced, theres more than enough material to warrant it. I'd much rather watch a 10 hour series per book, then a film that had to skip over half of the material. Lord of the Rings would have benefited from the same treatment.

Tyrion and Bronn are worth watching the show for alone, not to metion stab happy little Arya. And Blackwater... damn.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

They did skip over Tyrion's fight scenes. In the TV series he gets knocked out which I thought was amusing but in the book he fought at a river, quite well too. Don't know why they skipped that though.

Dont know why they skipped the chains in the Blackwater battle either. It would have made for a much grander battle. Maybe budget I guess.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Yeah, they pretty much skipped over that whole battle to be fair.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I would also like to point out the child actors are probably the best bunch I have ever seen.

Can't tell with Joffery though.