Long voyages

Everything else
Moonshadow
Petty officer first class

Long voyages

Post by Moonshadow »

Ok, just for kicks and grins, which smaller trek vessel would you use to take a long trip - say back to earth or something... By smaller, I mean more or less suport ships - Yachts, shuttles, runabouts...
I'm not talking about taking it into a combat situation, just for creature comforts. Me, I think I'd go with a runabout. They're pretty big and spacious, they've got the aft section which can be set up with living quarters. The Dleta Flyer would seem a little too cramped for me, as would most of the other standard shuttle types. The Soveriegn Captain's yacht might come in at a close second place. I'd have to see more of it than just what we saw in Insurrection. Any thoughts?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Long voyages

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I was a huge runabout fan during DS9, and while I can understand people's gripes with the writing for them (too much room, Jeffery's tube, etc), I still love them.

I think taking a tour of the Federation in a runabout with a few close friends would be a damn cool adventure. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Runabout most assuredly, the modular sections could be set up for long term habitation and the aft could be your living room/dining room/den type of set up. Heck, I've even thought about the aft section as perfect for a holodeck type set up. I grant you not as good as a full sized Starship though. At least one of the modules could be full of computer equipment to run it.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The Runabout is probably going to be your best bet. We've seen them set up for personnel transport and it's rather nice. The Delta Flyer wouldn't be that bad, especially if I could drag Seven and the Doctor along.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Either the Flyer or a Runabout. both are cool and large enough for parties.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Moonshadow

Post by Moonshadow »

Stitch, I think the Runabout would be more spacious - especially for a party, or even just to have enough room to get away from everyone...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Certainly one would think that the runabout would be the clear choice - that's what it was designed for, after all. As an alternative, Data's craft from INS (nominally called a "Federation scout") would also serve much like a runabout, though I'd guess it has less modular adaptability and probably less creature comforts. The Sov yacht seemed to have plenty of stowage space, but it's available creature comforts are a matter of conjecture at best.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Moonshadow wrote:Stitch, I think the Runabout would be more spacious - especially for a party, or even just to have enough room to get away from everyone...
Yes but the Flyer has a coff... er, escape pod.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Runabout. I don't think there's any real competition for this.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Delta Flyer all the way.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Delta Flyer all the way.
Care to elaborate on your reasoning?
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah. It's a lot smaller and looks a lot less comfy/adaptable than a runabout.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

There's enough space in the back that if it's just one or two people you could retrofit it to be plenty comfortable. It's just as it is presented right now not so much.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:There's enough space in the back that if it's just one or two people you could retrofit it to be plenty comfortable. It's just as it is presented right now not so much.
It definitely could, just not (seemingly) as easily or successfully as a runabout - which was purpose built for shuttle missions, only longer. I'm not saying he's wrong, just wondering why he chose that option.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:There's enough space in the back that if it's just one or two people you could retrofit it to be plenty comfortable. It's just as it is presented right now not so much.
Well the Delta Flyer is impressive in that it has a bigger interior than the exterior and the exterior can shrink to fit inside Voyager's doors.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"