Everything else
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blakes 7 to be remade - official!

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
Blake's 7: Syfy cues up US remake

Cable channel that successfully rebooted Battlestar Galactica orders pilot of Terry Nation's hit 70s sci-fi show

The bloodbath of a final episode suggested a comeback was out of the question. But television's appetite for remaking sci-fi classics of yesteryear has extended to Blake's 7, the story of interstellar renegades which came to an end on BBC1 in 1981.

Blake's 7, which was dubbed "The Dirty Dozen in space", is being remade for the same US cable TV channel, Syfy, that successfully revived another 70s sci-fi show, Battlestar Galactica, in 2004.

Doctor Who was reinvented for a new Saturday teatime audience by BBC1, but not every reboot of a fondly remembered show has been successful – ITV1's new version of The Prisoner proved short-lived despite an all-star cast featuring Sir Ian McKellen.

It remains to be seen what form the Blake's 7 remake will take or how faithful it will be to the original. Veteran director Martin Campbell, who helmed Piers Brosnan's first outing as James Bond in Goldeneye, is set to direct the pilot.
This could be really good... but I suspect they will end up giving us flashy effects and high production values whilst toning down the things that made the original good. Time will tell!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Blakes 7 to be remade - official!

Post by Mikey »

Yes, this sure won't be just "okay." It will be either really great or really terrible, with a 50/50 chance of either.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah. No middle ground, here. Either the heights of awesome... or the depths of suck.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I'd a huge fan of the show, just watching it again now. I would love for this to be a success but I'm very dubious.

First, the low budget gave the original show a certain charm. Granted, Doctor Who manages to be brilliant on occasion. On the other hand, Red Dwarf, IMO, was never great past Series 6.

What makes the orignal series for me though is the characters. Even when the stories are cheesy, theres always some great interaction between the characters and some exceptional dialogue at times. I think it'll be very hard to recreate.

And whilst Martin Campbell managed to reboot Bond twice succesfully, his remake of his own Edge of Darkness turned one of the best TV series ever made into a bog standard Mel Gibson action flick.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

I know I'm late to this debate (i just got first series on VHS from a friend (remember what that is??) but lord I hope the Avon char is played by a good actor. Love Avon I do. A proper bastard :-)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!