Any BattleTech/MechWarrior fans here?

Everything else
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Any BattleTech/MechWarrior fans here?

Post by LaughingCheese »

Soo, where do I pick up a copy? Seems to be out online.

I haven't had a chance to check physical stores.

Or is that why there's a lot of free PDF's on the BT website?
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

LaughingCheese wrote:Soo, where do I pick up a copy? Seems to be out online.

I haven't had a chance to check physical stores.

Or is that why there's a lot of free PDF's on the BT website?
There are older copies on Amazon, or EBay. Try looking for "Battletech Compendium" that has a 2-legged walker on the front, and a guy in powered armor (with part of the head shot off so you can see his face). That one for me was reliable, as it had construction and game rules all in one location. It is a bit old, and doesn't ave all the new toys in it, but you can get the book for five dollars from Amazon ($3.99 S&H, 23¢ for the book itself).

The current version out is a hardback book. You have the Core Rulebooks. Total Warfare is the combat book, containing all the rules for ground combat. TechManual is the one that lets you design Mechs, vehicles, and fighters. This way you only have to look in one book for the rules you need.

The free PDFs on the BT website are designed to draw you in, to get you hooked. From there, as you discover the larger and larger history, you will wind up reeling in more people.

As to the Jihad (WoB's plan to reunite the Inner Sphere by force/revenge in a non-cooperative command structure), it did give us the Rattler. That two-legged unit to the right of it, in the picture? That is an 80-ton Battlemech. The Rattler itself is an anti-air platform, designed to hit Dropships and hopefully make them Lawn Dart (see "Lithobraking" above).
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The rattler was an 80 ton over priced target. It was more a PDW then a mech. Half it's weapons leave it stuck in place from deployment or constant over heat and slow as hell.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

There are older copies on Amazon, or EBay.
I don't doubt that. :P However if I get into something I'd like to get it new if possible.
Try looking for "Battletech Compendium" that has a 2-legged walker on the front, and a guy in powered armor (with part of the head shot off so you can see his face).
Ah yes, the one with the Madcat/Timber Wolf and the Elemental BA? :P

http://www.amazon.com/Battletech-Compen ... 415&sr=8-2
That one for me was reliable, as it had construction and game rules all in one location. It is a bit old, and doesn't ave all the new toys in it, but you can get the book for five dollars from Amazon ($3.99 S&H, 23¢ for the book itself).
By construction rules do you mean for mechs or map layouts? I assume for mechs...

TechManual is the one that lets you design Mechs, vehicles, and fighters. This way you only have to look in one book for the rules you need.
I see, its like the Star Wars Cross Sections books but useful for something other than staring at! :lol:
The free PDFs on the BT website are designed to draw you in, to get you hooked. From there, as you discover the larger and larger history, you will wind up reeling in more people.
Well, obviously. :lol:

Tyyr wrote:You mean you can't find a copy of the starter set (the new one) for purchase? That's odd. It's an amazing value actually given what you get in it.
Well I've only looked online so far and unfortunately the Borders in my area closed down (as I guess a lot have). I'll try Barne's And Noble tho..
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

LaughingCheese wrote:I don't doubt that. :P However if I get into something I'd like to get it new if possible.

Ah yes, the one with the Madcat/Timber Wolf and the Elemental BA? :P
http://www.amazon.com/Battletech-Compen ... 415&sr=8-2

By construction rules do you mean for mechs or map layouts? I assume for mechs...

I see, its like the Star Wars Cross Sections books but useful for something other than staring at! :lol:
Tyyr wrote:You mean you can't find a copy of the starter set (the new one) for purchase? That's odd. It's an amazing value actually given what you get in it.
Well I've only looked online so far and unfortunately the Borders in my area closed down (as I guess a lot have). I'll try Barne's And Noble tho..
The reason I am suggesting the older ones is the new books are ~$40 per (and you need two of the books to build and fight), and the older ones are $5 for construction and combat rules. If you don't like it, you're only out $5 instead of $80.

That's the one. It has Mech construction rules inside it, along with combat as well.

Map layouts you can almost do by yourself. One idea is doing the tabletop gaming, where one inch equals one hex distance (FRU). This lets you use existing tabletop gaming models in a gaming store, while still doing Battletech.

Yes, you can make your ultimate death machine. Then put it on a battlefield and see how it stacks up against someone else's machine.

The starter set is currently not in stock at the Battletech site.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

The reason I am suggesting the older ones is the new books are ~$40 per (and you need two of the books to build and fight), and the older ones are $5 for construction and combat rules. If you don't like it, you're only out $5 instead of $80.
Oh right. Derp. :lol:
That's the one. It has Mech construction rules inside it, along with combat as well.
Cool. Going to play Attack next Friday; its a similar type of game. If I like that (and I'm pretty sure I will) then I'll look into getting this.

Thanks for the pointers guys.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I would love to have a local and active Battletech group nearby. Need to start looking for one.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu