"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: SF Debris: Firefly - Jaynestown

Post by McAvoy »

I always loved this episode.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

One of my favorites, and he nails the point and spirit of it well in the review.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

He does. Probably my favorite part of the episode was when Jayne got misty eye'd over the mudders having a riot in his name.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:He does. Probably my favorite part of the episode was when Jayne got misty eye'd over the mudders having a riot in his name.
That's why Jayne was such a great character. He wasn't the big tough guy exterior with a hidden heart-of-gold or soft spot for kittens/flowers/whatever - he was the big tough guy exterior with an equally unloveable big tough guy interior.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:
Tyyr wrote:He does. Probably my favorite part of the episode was when Jayne got misty eye'd over the mudders having a riot in his name.
That's why Jayne was such a great character. He wasn't the big tough guy exterior with a hidden heart-of-gold or soft spot for kittens/flowers/whatever - he was the big tough guy exterior with an equally unloveable big tough guy interior.
He did appreciate his mother though.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Sonic Glitch wrote:He did appreciate his mother though.
And he did seem genuinely concerned for Kaylee after she got shot in the first episode. He went apeshit on the guy who shot her then stood watch whilst the Doc operated on her (from outside where no one could see).
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Jayne isn't really a tough guy, he's a survivor. He's someone struggling for life in the only way he's been able to learn. What he finds on Serenity is that he doesn't have to be alone. In Mal he finds the drive to live for more then just himself. In Kaylee he finds a heart that he never dared to risk freeing on his own. When your whole life is built on violence, you can't just let your guard down. So you have to live through others or just make sure they live to feel what you can't risk feeling. I think that stands out well for Jayne since on more then one episode and in the movie we see him stand his ground in fights that its unlikely he'll live through. But its more important for him to be in the front of the fighting, out where the enemy is focused on him, since that means that its harder for the threat to pass to his shipmates. This to me is his character evolution since he's not just a survivor anymore, he's a guardian.

Now take that with some salt since he's a guardian who dolls with hookers and drink and killing... to which he seems to treat about the same amount of fun as I do spending a day stuffing my face with food.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

One of the sad things about Firefly not seeing how much Jayne could change over the series.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its the same for all the characters, even the "bad-guys" showed personal traits that would have been interesting to watch grow over time.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Jayne: "I'd kill a man in a fair fight... or if I thought he was gonna start a fair fight..."

'Nuff said. :)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm