Terra Nova

Everything else
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Terra Nova

Post by Lighthawk »

Anyone else going to give this a chance? I'm generally a sucker for anything with dinosaurs in it, so I'll at least watch the premier.

For those who haven't heard a damn thing about it yet...
The show begins in the year 2149, a time when all life on planet Earth is threatened with extinction (suggested in trailers to be due to dwindling worldwide air quality). In an effort to save the human race, scientists develop a time machine allowing people to travel 85 million years back in time to prehistoric Earth. The Shannon family (father Jim, his wife Elisabeth, and their three children Josh, Maddy and Zoe) join the tenth pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first human colony on the other side of the temporal doorway. However, they are unaware that the colony is in the middle of a group of carnivorous dinosaurs.

Depending on the over all amusement factor, I might be willing to over look even the more serious breaches of common sense and science. Though I have learned one thing to give me cause for real concern...Brannon Braga is one of the producers. Hopefully this will be counter balanced by Spielberg being the other.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Terra Nova

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The previews look promising, and I'd love to have something else worth watching on tv, but this is Fox here. If it doesn't start with and maintain amazing ratings, it won't last a full season.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

I hope they're genre savy. One 30 feet trench should help killing most of the ridiculous plots.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hmm. I saw the trailers, and I thought about how bad the film version of the great novel Jurassic Park was... and the TV show doesn't even have Sir Richard Attenborough.

*EDIT* Besides, the first time someone on the show calls a pterosaur or an ichthyosaur a "dinosaur," I'd have to stop immediately and go put a flaming bag of dog shit on some producer's door mat.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Better get the bags ready then, because most self proclaimed dinosaur enthusiasts don't even know the difference
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Lighthawk wrote:Better get the bags ready then, because most self proclaimed dinosaur enthusiasts don't even know the difference
IDK, even the shows my kids watch announce the difference.
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I am going to completely ignore if they mix dino-Era's . I just hope it is a fun show and not another attempt at a "serious drama that happens to take place is a scifi situation" type of thing.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I might be willing to over look even the more serious breaches of common sense and science.
It's got people going back in time to live with dinosaurs. I'm not thinking this will be a case of hard sci-fi. Personally, I just hope for internal consistency (be consistent with your bullshit science) and have a decent explanation for most things. Frankly this looks no more implausible than Stargate.
but this is Fox here. If it doesn't start with and maintain amazing ratings, it won't last a full season.
That's my biggest concern. Fox has no tolerance for shows that don't hit it out of the park. If they don't explode in their first half season odds of them getting to finish it are slim, forget a second season.
and I thought about how bad the film version of the great novel Jurassic Park was.
The film of Jurassic Park was still a good movie. There was no way to translate one of Chricton's dense tomes directly to the silver screen without some major, major cuts.
Besides, the first time someone on the show calls a pterosaur or an ichthyosaur a "dinosaur," I'd have to stop immediately and go put a flaming bag of dog shit on some producer's door mat.
If someone who should know better does it I'll agree with you. If one of the civies does it that's allowable given the number of people who still think Brontosaurus is real and that the T-Rex drags its tail.

Someone on TVTropes put forth the idea that they're going back to dinosaur days in order to dodge a temporal paradox. That since all the dinosaurs will go extinct anyways they can do as they please without reprecussions so long as they don't screw with small mammals. I can live with this though there's still the logical issue that you can't know what setting up this outpost will do, you can't know what killing off dinosaurs, some of which preyed on the mammals could do, and so on. This wasn't so bad if you figured they might only go back 66 million years, give themselves a clean million years to work with but limit the potential impact on evolution as much as they can. 85 Million, for a good 20 million pre extinction sort of fucks that all up even worse. Not to mention is this just an outpost, time traveling rest stop, what? Because if this is a colony I can assure you, spreading out over a continent or even large area of it is really going to fuck with the way things would naturally develop. I'd be happier if they just said that every time you time travel you create an alternate reality so that you don't have to deal with paradoxes. That raises the issue then of why you'd pick a time period with 12 meter, 4 ton carnivores roaming around instead of 62 million years ago when the biggest land predator was the size of a cat.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Tyyr wrote:It's got people going back in time to live with dinosaurs. I'm not thinking this will be a case of hard sci-fi. Personally, I just hope for internal consistency (be consistent with your bullshit science) and have a decent explanation for most things. Frankly this looks no more implausible than Stargate.
Aye, as long as they don't contradict themselves and the show can be entertaining.
Someone on TVTropes put forth the idea that they're going back to dinosaur days in order to dodge a temporal paradox. That since all the dinosaurs will go extinct anyways they can do as they please without reprecussions so long as they don't screw with small mammals. I can live with this though there's still the logical issue that you can't know what setting up this outpost will do, you can't know what killing off dinosaurs, some of which preyed on the mammals could do, and so on. This wasn't so bad if you figured they might only go back 66 million years, give themselves a clean million years to work with but limit the potential impact on evolution as much as they can. 85 Million, for a good 20 million pre extinction sort of fucks that all up even worse. Not to mention is this just an outpost, time traveling rest stop, what? Because if this is a colony I can assure you, spreading out over a continent or even large area of it is really going to fuck with the way things would naturally develop. I'd be happier if they just said that every time you time travel you create an alternate reality so that you don't have to deal with paradoxes. That raises the issue then of why you'd pick a time period with 12 meter, 4 ton carnivores roaming around instead of 62 million years ago when the biggest land predator was the size of a cat.
Well so far we don't have much idea just what the time travel rules are going to be for this, so its hard to say for a lot of it. Though one of the previews had someone stating that the trip is one way. This suggests that its not a perfect technology yet, so maybe they don't have much of a choice of time period. Maybe they're just happy they aren't dropping people off years, centuries, or worse apart.

Though if the trip is one way, it does raise the question of how they even know this plan is working.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Let's hope they will consult TVTropes or at least wikipedia, there is a clear list of what was around 85 million years ago. If this will be a big budget show, they can spare the time and money to actually look up such things.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:The film of Jurassic Park was still a good movie.
Except that it wasn't. At all.
Tyyr wrote:There was no way to translate one of Chricton's dense tomes directly to the silver screen without some major, major cuts.
Save one. And I'm not talking about eliminating some volume, I'm talking about completely changing the paradigm and the nature of the novel. With Jurassic Park, Crichton wrote a phenomenal math/science fiction story. The adaptation was a simple shoot-em-up with ornithopod baddies.

That's what I see happening with this show - the fact of the timefram and the environment will be marginalized to the point at which the dinosaurs et. al. could be replaced with extraterrestrials, or super-evolved predators from the future,TM etc., etc.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:Hmm. I saw the trailers, and I thought about how bad the film version of the great novel Jurassic Park was... and the TV show doesn't even have Sir Richard Attenborough.

*EDIT* Besides, the first time someone on the show calls a pterosaur or an ichthyosaur a "dinosaur," I'd have to stop immediately and go put a flaming bag of dog shit on some producer's door mat.
You didn't like Jurassic Park the movie? You are the first I ever heard to say that. But that movie hasn't been brought up in ten years though.

I will give it a chance though. Until at least it pulls a Lost or something.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I might have liked it on its own if I hadn't read the novel a long time prior. But I did. Oh, Sir Richard's and Sam Neill's performances were good, and Goldblum's was workable, and the production values were high - I just didn't think that the film was anything more than a decently done shoot-em-up/escape-from-big-bad film, and shouldn't have had any references to the the novel in title or plot.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

The book will almost always be better than the movie, for many reasons. Having read the book and seen the film, I found both to be entertaining, but for very different reasons.

Calling the movie a shoot em up is rather a stretch though, as they only used guns twice in the whole thing, and we didn't see anything when they did.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yes, yes, the point of that turn of phrase is that the novel was as cerebral as could be, while the film actively encouraged the shut-down of large groups of neurons.
as Bull offed Custer