Terra Nova

Everything else
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Terra Nova

Post by McAvoy »

Didn't like the two oldest kids. The nerdy daughter and riding the fence son has been done too many times. Nerdy girl doesn't bother me as much as the bad son. His biggest complaint was Daddy wasn't there so they had to fend for themselves while Daddy in a shitastic prison? Yeah ok.

Made dinos I don't care. Hell just recently we have found a new species of dolphin. I am sure people are thinking this though, what does dino meat taste like?

So the premise is about not only going back in time but in a parrallel one as well? So they leave their jacked up Earth to go mess up another universe's Earth's future. But I do wonder if it would matter in the long run though. Most species will die out in 20 million years.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well you can't actually prove that this time line would have progressed anything like Earth Prime's timeline. Simply put we don't know. The very presence of the wormhole could have done something that assured in 85 million years this Earth would be a barren wasteland.

The issue for me with the oldest daughter is that you never get the feel she's a real know it all with some humility. It just comes off like it's a preplanned speech she's reading from a script.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The issue for me with the oldest daughter is that you never get the feel she's a real know it all with some humility. It just comes off like it's a preplanned speech she's reading from a script.
Some people do speak like that. If you ever hear me speak on something in public, it sounds like I'm reading (except when I am reading, then I sound like I'm talking normally).

However, it is annoying, either way.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'll take your word for it, but on this show it just makes it feel like she can't act, the director can't direct, and the writers are hacks.

Though if her role as little miss exposition dump gets toned down now that most of the set up is out of the way she might be fine.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The way I look at it, it's only the first episode. I usually give at least five episodes before I start to pass judgement on the acting/writing/directing.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I know, I'm trying to cut it some slack. From some other sites this is getting some seriously intense hatred for no reason I can seem to place.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah I would think there are many series that would get that.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Not really. I've seen plenty of pilots that get mixed or lukewarm reactions where TN seems to be getting some serious hate ladled onto it for no real solid reason. It's no worse than many pilots, in fact its better than most in my opinion. It's hard to judge a series on the pilot alone. Hopefully in the next couple episodes everyone settles into their parts and it hits its stride.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Second episode:

annoying girl is still annoying and pretending to be smart, misbehaving boy is actually fitting in better and so is no longer annoying, cute child is still cute and therefore not annoying at all.

Oh wait, that was just the kids...

Well, my only real complaint was the whole moss growing on tree thing (which has been proven to be complete BS), but I can let that go because even a few survivalists today will use that, and these people for the most part haven;t seen a tree till they went back in time.

Oh and the old boyfriend cliche... sigh.

The "birds" (I love how those who were not scientists called them birds and got corrected, made me happy inside, and they weren't called dinosaurs once :D ) were interesting. Almost cute, if it wasn't a prehistoric Hitchcock film.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Well, at least they didn't call pterosaurs "dinosaurs."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yep little cute girl is still cute.

The son isn't that annoying anymore, but his new girlfriend is starting to annoy me.

I think the moral of this story is don't care off scary mini-dino-birds when you want to get laid.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah but their squalling was preventing him from getting laid as well so he never won.

I thought I was going to hate the old boyfriend thing except that rather than have the husband stew about it he just confronted the old boyfriend and immediately ended the problem. "Didn't expect me here huh? Now excuse me while I go save everyone then come back here and nail her."

The oldest boy (I really should learn his name) wasn't as stupid and OMG they actually punished him for doing something stupid by making him scrub the latrines. The oldest daughter didn't expo dump on us anywhere and wasn't too bad. The youngest is just so damned adorable you can't help but love her. I was actually hoping the pterasaur after her would get stomped on.

Taylor is still a badass and continues to be awesome. I dunno if I'm really looking forward to next week's virus episode. Amnesia virus? Ugh.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:Amnesia virus?
Unholy Baphomet, they're two eps in and they've had to go to that well already?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Yeah, the next ep is seeming to be painful on the... well, every level.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm baffled honestly. You're setting up a time traveling colony in the late cretaceous and you have to go with amnesia virus two episodes in?