Sherlock

Everything else
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sherlock

Post by Captain Seafort »

This first came out last year, and the Beeb are repeating the first series, probably to refresh people's memories in the run up to the second series later this year. Who's seen it and what do you think? Overall, I'd call the first episode the best of the three, closely followed by the last. Middle one wasn't so great.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Sherlock

Post by kostmayer »

Agreed about the episode rankings.

A very good update overall, and very well written. I felt some of it felt slightly forced, such as swapping a pocketwatch for a Blackberry in the scene when Holmes does his analysis on Watsons brother (sister).

Mark Gattis was brilliant as Mycroft.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Sure sounds like you're discussing a TV series or radio show.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I agree on the episode rankings too.

I rather like the updates... it gives me a smile when he refers to a "three patch problem" or a mobile rather than a watch.

My biggest gripe is the way that...
The taxi driver is revealed as the man nobody would ever think to suspect. In the real world there have been some high profile cases of taxi drivers (usually fake ones) committing crimes, it's something the regular police would have thought of and investigated instantly.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:I rather like the updates... it gives me a smile when he refers to a "three patch problem" or a mobile rather than a watch.
Although I have yet to see an adaptation that accurately depicts Holmes' habit. Although they were hinting very strongly when Holmes got worried about Lestrade's search.

My biggest gripe is the way that...
The taxi driver is revealed as the man nobody would ever think to suspect. In the real world there have been some high profile cases of taxi drivers (usually fake ones) committing crimes, it's something the regular police would have thought of and investigated instantly.
Most taxi drivers aren't geniuses. :wink:
As for Watson, the "change" to his background makes you want to give up on the shithole.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Am looking forward to the Hound of the Baskervilles update. Am kind of hoping for a remake of The Redheaded League. Maybe with Karen Gillian in it.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

kostmayer wrote:Am looking forward to the Hound of the Baskervilles update. Am kind of hoping for a remake of The Redheaded League. Maybe with Karen Gillian in it.
This series will have the following titles:

"A Scandal in Belgravia"
"The Hounds of Baskerville"
"The Reichenbach Fall"

Looks like you'll get your wish, although I suspect the series will end on a (literal) cliffhanger that will be somewhat flat from anyone who knows a bit of the original.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

kostmayer wrote:Karen Gillian
*wakes up* What, now? Do you mean Karen Gillan of DW fame? If so, I might have to hunt down an American broadcast of this wacko program.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Lol, can't wait to see the Hound of the Baskervilles. Though it really needs to be movie length, IMO.

Benedict Cumberbatch was on a quiz show shortly after Sherlock first came out. At the end of the first round he said "And of course the BBC won't be doing any sordid cashing in on my newfound success playing Sherlock Holmes. And now, onto round two..." glanced at his cards and looked up with a sigh to say "...the 'Round of the Baskervilles...'"

I almost crapped myself laughing :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:Lol, can't wait to see the Hound of the Baskervilles. Though it really needs to be movie length, IMO.
It will be more or less - the episodes are 90 min.
Benedict Cumberbatch was on a quiz show shortly after Sherlock first came out. At the end of the first round he said "And of course the BBC won't be doing any sordid cashing in on my newfound success playing Sherlock Holmes. And now, onto round two..." glanced at his cards and looked up with a sigh to say "...the 'Round of the Baskervilles...'"
HIGNFY?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yes
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:
kostmayer wrote:Karen Gillian
*wakes up* What, now? Do you mean Karen Gillan of DW fame? If so, I might have to hunt down an American broadcast of this wacko program.
PBS Masterpiece Mystery or something like that I believe broadcasts them. I think the first three may still be available online from PBS, idk.
Captain Seafort wrote:
HIGNFY?
Hrm?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Have I Got News For You.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Yes, it appears that you have.
ImageImage