The Cape (spoilers and such)

Everything else
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

The Cape (spoilers and such)

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Anybody watch it? I caught Syfy re-airing the 2hr pilot this morning last night. I'm intrigued. Basically the plot is the police chief in the town dies in an explosion, and the city council's (or county exec board/township/borough managers) plan to deal with the issues in the police department (and the death of the chief) is to invite in some bigwig famous private security firm (my first thought is a blackwater type agency) called ARK to run the police department -- an entirely privatized municipal police department. The main character is a member of the police force who was their when the chief exploded -- a very good cop (both good at his job, and good as in "not crooked"). His friend convinces him to get in on the ground floor of ARK so he'll get a better deal then when the company takes over the police anyway. After being hired, the officer gets an anonymous tip saying a shipment of an illegal, supposedly non-existent explosive is being transported at the train depot. He goes to check it out and the bad guys catch him, led by a supervillan figure called Chess -- who strangely enough has cat-like pupils, i'm hoping that's explained -- It is revealed that
Chess is actually the CEO of ARC securities
and then our honest cop is framed as Chess, (naturally captured by ARC) and presumed killed.

Through an interesting thought process, and to get his city and wife and son back (and stop Chess) he decides to take on the guise of his sons favorite superhero, The Cape, and begin fighting back with the assisstance of a circus gang of thieves and Summer Glau Orwell, an investigative blogger with an eye for justice and incredible computer knowledge (who tipped him off to the aforementioned explosive shipment).

My recap may not have done an adequate job of describing it, so Here is the website. I will say it's the first time in a while I've reached the end of a pilot and smiled.

Also, Bear McCreary (of nBSG in case anyones forgotten) is the composer, and judging by his Twitter posts, he was very excited to be able to write his first superhero score, and he did a marvelous job. I look forward to the rest of the series. I caught this episode on SyFy, but it's nominally on NBC Monday nights at 9EST/8central.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: The Cape (spoilers and such)

Post by Tyyr »

I saw it and I found myself enjoying it. We'll see how it holds up long term but I liked the pilot and it didn't gloos over some of the potential problems with being a superhero. Namely even if you win you'll feel beat to shit.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, and the fact that you can't just hide your identity, you have to not be part of your former life, because it will slip if you are. I only saw the last half of it really, however I'm going to watch it on Hulu since they have it on there.
What I saw I really liked, I don't understand how the cape works although that's probably explained by the first episode. So Ill see that and get back to you.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:What I saw I really liked, I don't understand how the cape works although that's probably explained by the first episode. So Ill see that and get back to you.
Quantum ;) It's explained at one point in the episode that it was designed for the illusion tricks/a carnival act and so is very durable, with a weighted hem (or something like that) for throwing. I personally prefer the simpler explanation of, "Magic" :lol:
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I turned the damned thing off. I couldn't STAND it.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

Elaborate please! What did you not like and why? How far did you get? If several issues, list them in order.

I for one find it's a good superhero comic book show, not as dark as Batman, but not totally goofball either. There are few issues that make it hard to suspend disbelief all the way through, but I was and will be entertained until it dies. Who knows, maybe it'll last a year or 2.
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

The midget strongman beating everyone up.

'nuff said.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I was one-and-done, but gave it a second episode juse in case... and it after the second episode I had no issues with removing it from my queue.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm watching the pilot now, and my main complaint is that it's all so rushed.

City full of crooked cops: check.

Hero cop uncovers dastardly plot, and is then framed by villain
(who happens to run the private security firm taking over from the cops)
: check.

Mentor to teach the hero all the stuff he needs to know to fight back: check.

Special "super" gear: check.

Partner who just happens to show up and already supports the hero (with high-tech gadgets and all): check.

Villain escapes at the last moment/dastardly plot averted: check.

The end!

They should've had a two hour pilot for this one. Good actors, good production values, good concept in theory, but it was all crammed in, like "let's hurry and get the origin out of the way so we can start the 'bad guy of the week' format".

5/10 for being so rushed.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Addendum: physics?
How the hell can he effortlessly toss people around with the cape? Leverage aside, he doesn't seem that strong. Second episode, he falls twenty stories, and somehow uses the cape to slow his fall...
Also, an idiotic trope: in a fight, a tough opponent is suddenly knocked out cold as soon as they're thrown through anything made of glass... and stay down.

I'll have to remember that the next time I get in a fight.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

You won't need to. Nobody f*cks with guys in capes.

Need proof? How many times have you ever had to go dance with a guy wearing a cape?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:lol:
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Addendum: physics?
How the hell can he effortlessly toss people around with the cape? Leverage aside, he doesn't seem that strong. Second episode, he falls twenty stories, and somehow uses the cape to slow his fall...
Also, an idiotic trope: in a fight, a tough opponent is suddenly knocked out cold as soon as they're thrown through anything made of glass... and stay down.

I'll have to remember that the next time I get in a fight.
I believe that's a case of this shows version of :Q --> "Magic Cape"