Falling Skies

Everything else
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Falling Skies

Post by Lazar »

TNT is launching a new show called Falling Skies, about people living after an alien invasion. I'm not too impressed by the trailer - it looks like a generic rehash of well-worn alien invasion and survival tropes.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Falling Skies

Post by Deepcrush »

Agreed, I'm not to impressed with it. Though its still a shame that everyone but SyFy will have a Sci-Fi show running anymore.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Deepcrush wrote:Agreed, I'm not to impressed with it. Though its still a shame that everyone but SyFy will have a Sci-Fi show running anymore.
Ain't that the fucking truth.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

While I agree that SyFy not having a genuine Sci-fi show on air is a shame, isn't it a good thing that other networks start considering Science-Fiction series more into mainstream culture appeal? Before, you couldn't make them touch a Sci-Fi storyline with a 10-feet pole.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:While I agree that SyFy not having a genuine Sci-fi show on air is a shame, isn't it a good thing that other networks start considering Science-Fiction series more into mainstream culture appeal? Before, you couldn't make them touch a Sci-Fi storyline with a 10-feet pole.
Really? I seem to remember Star Trek, Space: 1999, Battlestar Galactica, and Lost In Space - then, more recently, V, Invasion: USA, Special Unit 2, Early Edition, etc., etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Mikey wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:While I agree that SyFy not having a genuine Sci-fi show on air is a shame, isn't it a good thing that other networks start considering Science-Fiction series more into mainstream culture appeal? Before, you couldn't make them touch a Sci-Fi storyline with a 10-feet pole.
Really? I seem to remember Star Trek, Space: 1999, Battlestar Galactica, and Lost In Space - then, more recently, V, Invasion: USA, Special Unit 2, Early Edition, etc., etc.
Even if there were science-fiction shows, they seemed to be much less numerous than their contemporaries, and (while I might be mistaken), their budget didn't seem to be on the same level than today.

But I withdraw the comment, if you genuinely think I was mistaken. My apologies.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

You're not wrong in the overarching idea, just in the statement that they were really that scarce. The idea that sci-fi has generally been marginalized is absolutely true, and even though that phenomenon has been lesser in the UK than in the US (witness Doctor Who, Blake's 7, et. al.) it still exists. Only time will tell if the current spread changes that trend, or if these new shows just end up as the latest version of Firefly.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer