Shows they SHOULD try a remake on....

Everything else
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Shows they SHOULD try a remake on....

Post by Mark »

I was watching Buck Rogers in the 25 century on Nexflix and thinking.......

That show would be worth remaking. With modern SFX, and a less campy storyline, it could be like James Bond in space with a starfighter.

What shows do YOU think they SHOULD remake?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Shows they SHOULD try a remake on....

Post by Mikey »

Space: 1999.

There have been rumors of a remake, called Space: 2099 which would be both a reboot and a sequel. I'd like it a lot, if they kept the season 1, very British, more mysterious feel rather than the season 2, American-market, action-of-the-week feel.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Starship Troopers.

I'd like to see one that actually follows Heinlein's books.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I would LOVE to see a War of the Worlds that was actually a faithful adaption of the novel, i.e. set in Victorian England. Somebody actually did it about the time the last movie came out, but it was a micro budget straight to DVD thing that sucked balls, apparently.

There's a remake of Forbidden Planet on the way, and I find this idea intriguing. I hope they don't mess with the basic story too much, but there are definitely improvements to be made there.

I've always thought Blakes 7 could do with a remake. The original suffered very much from BBC special effects. If they could do a remake that had, say, Dr Who level effects, whilst still keeping the hardcore attitude of the original... that would rock.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

To be honest I think they should just leave Forbidden Planet alone. Like Day the Earth Stood Still, its a timeless classic that shouldn't be tampered with as there's really no way to improve on the story.

I would however like to see a true film version of Starship Troopers. Also Battle Tech would be nice.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'd be interested to see if they could get a true remake of Starship Troopers greenlit. Given it's overall take on government and such I'd be interested to see if people could shut up about "OMG Fascism!" long enough to pay attention to the movie.

Battletech wouldn't really be a remake, and it would be a bitch to try and make anything of the major events given the huge amount of background material.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I don't recall Starship Troopers (novel) being about Fascism in anyway.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It's not, but people with the intellectual depth of a puddle see limited franchise and totally lose their shit.

Then you've got Verhoven dressing Dougy Houser up like Goebbels which doesn't help things.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I've about given up on the idea of a faithful Starship Troopers film. In the category of novels I'd like to see movie-ized, I'm going to nominate Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone series - not the more recent additions, but the first 6 perhaps. I think modern CGI could lend itself to making the fluff suitably awesome, while the meat of the stories isn't really dependent on SFX.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I would LOVE to see a War of the Worlds that was actually a faithful adaption of the novel, i.e. set in Victorian England. Somebody actually did it about the time the last movie came out, but it was a micro budget straight to DVD thing that sucked balls, apparently.
I'd love a good WotW adaption. Why one hasn't been done on the big screen has always escaped me.
GrahamKennedy wrote:I've always thought Blakes 7 could do with a remake. The original suffered very much from BBC special effects. If they could do a remake that had, say, Dr Who level effects, whilst still keeping the hardcore attitude of the original... that would rock.

I was under the impression that they were doing a remake of Blake's 7. At least, that's what I've heard from the very reliable source that is Have I Got News For You.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Sionnach Glic wrote:
I was under the impression that they were doing a remake of Blake's 7. At least, that's what I've heard from the very reliable source that is Have I Got News For You.

I reckon its gone the way of your Insurrection mockery. :P
Bite my shiny metal ass
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Mikey wrote: In the category of novels I'd like to see movie-ized, I'm going to nominate Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone series - not the more recent additions, but the first 6 perhaps. I think modern CGI could lend itself to making the fluff suitably awesome, while the meat of the stories isn't really dependent on SFX.
That would be cool.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I would LOVE to see a War of the Worlds that was actually a faithful adaption of the novel, i.e. set in Victorian England. Somebody actually did it about the time the last movie came out, but it was a micro budget straight to DVD thing that sucked balls, apparently.
A War of the Worlds adaption set in the original time is something I've always wanted to see too.
GrahamKennedy wrote:There's a remake of Forbidden Planet on the way, and I find this idea intriguing. I hope they don't mess with the basic story too much, but there are definitely improvements to be made there.
I'm not too sure about Forbidden Planet though. Its one of my favourite films, and despite its age still looks fantastic.
GrahamKennedy wrote:I've always thought Blakes 7 could do with a remake. The original suffered very much from BBC special effects. If they could do a remake that had, say, Dr Who level effects, whilst still keeping the hardcore attitude of the original... that would rock.
I don't think this suffered at all from its dodgy effects. It was cheesy in someparts, and the characters were a little unevenly written towards the end - paticularly Avon and Tarrant, but the writing was superb when it wanted to be. None of the characters were whiter then white, and the good guys, if you could even call them that, didn't always win. That said, if they could do an equally good job rebooting it as they did with BSG then I think it could be great, as long as they concentrate on the character development and the stories, the things that made the original great, and not just focus on updating the graphics.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Dino-riders. Seriously, modern SFX depicting dinosaurs with armor and frickin' laser beams strapped all over them, I wouldn't give a damn what the story was. I'll take an hour and a half of *Pew pew! Roar! Pew pew! BOOM!*.

Exo-squad would be pretty bad-ass too, that was such an awesome show. Why the hell hasn't that been released to DVD yet!? The toys from that were so awesome...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Lighthawk wrote:Exo-squad would be pretty bad-ass too, that was such an awesome show. Why the hell hasn't that been released to DVD yet!? The toys from that were so awesome...
No need, its on Hulu for free.