The Smartening Up of TV?

Everything else
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

The Smartening Up of TV?

Post by Tyyr »

There's been a lot of talk in general about the dumbing down of entertainment in general. I am not convinced though. If the theory was right then the Scary Movie style franchise should be a blockbuster, they're not. In fact if anything I think there is a trend for people to expect more out of their entertainment.

Most new shows are not episodic in nature but rather they have long running and intricate storylines. Even kids shows do this. The era of the stand alone episode is over. Movies are planned as franchises with multiple installments rather than one movie then if things go well a completely unconnected sequel.

I am honestly starting to think that we are looking at a time when people are expecting more out of their entertainment. Sure, the Jackasses and Tosh.0's exist but more as an outlet for cheap laughs. The real winners are big long running shows. What do other people think?
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Re: The Smartening Up of TV?

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Tyyr wrote:I am honestly starting to think that we are looking at a time when people are expecting more out of their entertainment.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laughroll:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laughroll:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA :laughroll:
HAAHA :laughroll:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laughroll:
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA :laughroll:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laughroll:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laughroll:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA :laughroll:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laughroll:
Just kidding. I can't say I "see" the same thing, with the exception of intricated plotlines a la BSG and Lost compared to the simplistic storytelling format of the 80/90's (I just start laughing when I see that DS9's 6-episodes storyarc was a breakthrough for the time!!)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Call me a cynic, but I think this is more due to an epiphany on the part of TV powers-that-be than any changing tastes in society. That is, I believe the market was always there for more intricate entertainment, but it took things like "Heroes" and "Lost" to remind execs that such things still sold.

I love using my brain once in a while; I also enjoy "Tosh.0" immensely. It's not a dichotomy on my part so much as human nature; it's not we who forgot what we liked, it was TV.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Um, your forgetting other greats like Robot Chicken, Family Guy, the Simpsons, and so forth. I'd say your average viewer would enjoy both. Storylines such as you'd mentioned before, but then you've got episodic shows like CSI, Bones, NCIS, House, and so forth. I really don't see much difference, except they are drifting away from the standard sitcom which was popular back then, with the occasional adventure show (ie A team, Knight Rider, McGiver, and so forth), towards more dramatic shows.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Futurama is actually pretty deep. I'd add it as a "smarter"

Specially compared to the Simpsons
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mark wrote:Um, your forgetting other greats like Robot Chicken, Family Guy, the Simpsons, and so forth. I'd say your average viewer would enjoy both. Storylines such as you'd mentioned before, but then you've got episodic shows like CSI, Bones, NCIS, House, and so forth. I really don't see much difference, except they are drifting away from the standard sitcom which was popular back then, with the occasional adventure show (ie A team, Knight Rider, McGiver, and so forth), towards more dramatic shows.
I'm not forgetting them. I am at no point claiming that every TV show ever is going to move away from that style of show. There's some place for them in the fabric of entertainment. However what's Bones next to Lost or 24? The episodic shows are filling the time slots but at they what's driving ratings for channels or are they packed in around the long ongoing shows to scrap ratings bumps off them?

There's still plenty of episodic stuff and stupid stuff but fifteen years ago all you had was episodic.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Would you believe that I've never seen a single episode of "Lost" OR "24"?

Now, Dexter I can relate too :wink:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've not seen one of any of them. I have little or no interest in regular TV programs, including any of the Sci-fi on here. I watch on a want basis really.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Gave up on Lost after the first 15 mins.

Anyone catch Rubicon? Spy thriller very much in the style of Three Days of the Condor. Very subdued, and slow paced, but great series.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

kostmayer wrote:Gave up on Lost after the first 15 mins...
:picard:

Man, if I gave up on things after the first 15 minutes of the pilot, I would've missed a lot of great shows.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Perhaps give up is the wrong word.

I just turned over and never got round to going back to the show.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Every sci-fi fan should start at the pilot episode and watch the entirety of Lost, IMO.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I watched the odd couple of episodes and found it beyond dull.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

It's impossible to follow if you don't watch it in order.

And, yeah, some episodes are slow, but every show has that problem. :wink:
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I tried watching the start few episodes and held a similar opinion. But I have never ever watched a series regularly, I just don't find it remotely interesting. lost, nBSG, SGU, any of our soaps, The Inbetweeners...I just don't really get the impulse to watch tv regularly. Only when I feel like it, and then its just what ever is on.