Spacebattles.com Rant

Everything else
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Spacebattles.com Rant

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:I've not yet seen anything to make me think that any of them has more overall destructive capability than Trek, should the writers suddenly so choose to employ.
By that standard, you'd never be able to determine who's most powerful, because the writer or writers are always theoretically capable of pulling a DEM out of their arse.

Regarding SB, I've got an account there, but I've stayed away since a rather heated discussion involving Borg drones vs the Cult of Skaro.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

Mark wrote:I personally think they're talking out of their collective asses. The thing about trek is they've always used "just enough" force. Safe to say, the Federation and Starfleet are the toughest guys on the block in a coventional sense (minus the Borg or Dominion who have their own quadrents). They don't really wage an all out war, so I think it's more a matter of ruthlessness than anything. Without going into a VS arguement, I've seen Star Wars, Babylon 5, Stargate, Mass Effect, Aliens, and a whole slew of others. I've not yet seen anything to make me think that any of them has more overall destructive capability than Trek, should the writers suddenly so choose to employ.

Seconded.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

*Punt* This is really a sci-fi discussion, especially given that it's likely to develop into specifics.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

To reiterate Ian's point - discussing other people's ideas is fine; discussing the points of universe vs. universe is not.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

*tip's cap* sorry mod man.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Edit: Mikey beat me to it while I was still typing.

Regarding versus debates, I've lately lost what interest I had in them. Either they're too close to call, in which case it's difficult to pin down a specific result since it could swing either way, or they're the equivelant of putting Muhammed Ali up against a newborn kitten, in which case it becomes completely uninteresting. It also doesn't really help that the vast majority of possible Vs debates have already been done to death. Maybe if a new sci-fi universe comes around my interest will again be piqued, but for now I tend to just scroll past such threads.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

They all throw around Wong's anti-Star Trek rhetoric like the words he spins are pure gold...I believe our own esteemed Graham Kennedy and him had words once, if I am not mistaken...The stuff of online sci-fi discussion legend.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

The problem is, said debators are always going to side with their favorite. You aren't going to convince someone who lives and breathes Star Wars that the events GK told in Portal couldn't happen, no matter how rational your arguement is. The whole reason these debates are pointless is that they cannot BE won. I mean come on

SW Fan: My SD would tear your GCS apart!
ST Fan: Your lasers wouldn't even penetrate my navigational deflectors!
SW Fan: Sure they would. Because my lasers aren't really lasers, they're just called that!

See my point?

PLEASE NOTE...above dialouge was for demonstrative purposes only. This is NOT a topic for discussion, no does it represent an actual debate. Comment on it, laugh about it, but DO NOT pick it up and run with it.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Mark wrote:SW Fan: My SD would tear your GCS apart!
ST Fan: Your lasers wouldn't even penetrate my navigational deflectors!
SW Fan: Sure they would. Because my lasers aren't really lasers, they're just called that!
ROFL...OMG, did you steal that from one of MY debates? My lasers arent really lasers, they're just called that...Lol I KNOW that you were really cursing warsies under your breath there, deny it all you want...lol
- Female Changeling
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Bad example - the no-limits fallacy inherent in the "lasers can't penetrate the nav deflector" argument is fucking stupid in any context, regardless of whether it's a versus debate or not.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Guys...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

Lighthawk wrote:That or 8-bit theater.
You called it its Black Mage from 8-Bit.

I'm also a fan of the Final fantasy Series so it seemed like a good idea.

Additionally guys I think we are going into a VS debate here (At least its reading that way to me)......think we need to chage the topic a bit.
Genius insania et conseri manum
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

I think we should do a VS debate for Graham Kennedy vs Mike Wong...I hate that guy.
- Female Changeling
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

:roll:

The next versus suggestion gets the thread locked.
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

Captain Seafort wrote::roll:

The next versus suggestion gets the thread locked.
I honestly think it should be locked anyway at this point.......
Genius insania et conseri manum