Too many ships on the dance floor

Everything else

Re: Too many ships on the dance floor

Postby Captain Seafort » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:37 pm

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Wait, what happens if you lose velocity while in close orbit to the earth?


You crash.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.

Across the Universe - Chapter 2 now up
User avatar
Captain Seafort
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 14998
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:44 pm
Location: Blighty

Re: Too many ships on the dance floor

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:51 pm

Captain Seafort wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:Wait, what happens if you lose velocity while in close orbit to the earth?


You crash.


So, if you lose ennough velocity to lose the escape level, the atmosphere is going to constantly slow you down until you end up being too slow, and you then crash?

Quite depressing.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander
 
Posts: 1406
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:49 am

Re: Too many ships on the dance floor

Postby Tyyr » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:00 pm

That's sort of the whole idea behind reentry for every manned spacecraft ever.
User avatar
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 10654
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: Jeri Ryan's Dressing Room, Shhhhh

Re: Too many ships on the dance floor

Postby Graham Kennedy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:12 pm

SolkaTruesilver wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:Wait, what happens if you lose velocity while in close orbit to the earth?


You crash.


So, if you lose ennough velocity to lose the escape level, the atmosphere is going to constantly slow you down until you end up being too slow, and you then crash?

Quite depressing.


That's exactly how they land. Notice they burn all that fuel to get to orbit, but almost none to come back? Because all you need to come back is to slow down a little and you nudge into the atmosphere. Friction takes you down from there.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
User avatar
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8213
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Banbury, UK

Re: Too many ships on the dance floor

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:28 pm

GrahamKennedy wrote:That's exactly how they land. Notice they burn all that fuel to get to orbit, but almost none to come back? Because all you need to come back is to slow down a little and you nudge into the atmosphere. Friction takes you down from there.


How many orbits are required to slow down to acceptable crashable speed?
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander
 
Posts: 1406
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:49 am

Re: Too many ships on the dance floor

Postby stitch626 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:55 pm

SolkaTruesilver wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:That's exactly how they land. Notice they burn all that fuel to get to orbit, but almost none to come back? Because all you need to come back is to slow down a little and you nudge into the atmosphere. Friction takes you down from there.


How many orbits are required to slow down to acceptable crashable speed?

Depends how fast you want to drop. :mrgreen:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
User avatar
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 9521
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:57 pm
Location: Romulus

Re: Too many ships on the dance floor

Postby Deepcrush » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:44 am

:laughroll:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
User avatar
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 18917
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Arnold, Maryland, USA

Re: Too many ships on the dance floor

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:04 pm

And how big of an impression you want to make upon arrival. ;)
User avatar
RK_Striker_JK_5
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 9112
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:27 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Too many ships on the dance floor

Postby Graham Kennedy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:51 pm

In all seriousness, I believe the shuttle starts doing big slow S curves to the left and right of it's course once it's got enough air for the control surfaces to work, so that it wastes speed even faster. But it still takes a good long stretch of an orbit to come down. Dunno how much... half an orbit maybe?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
User avatar
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8213
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Banbury, UK

Re: Too many ships on the dance floor

Postby Lighthawk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:36 pm

Image
User avatar
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:55 pm
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Previous

Return to Other / General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron