Subsections.

Everything else
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Subsections.

Post by Deepcrush »

Has there been thought to more lately?

Warhammer is all over DITL, its hard to go to a section without a WH thread, let alone somehow the topic being brought up.

Other things like Dune, Lord of the Rings, Culture etc could benefit from having localized sub-sections. Any thoughts on this?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Subsections.

Post by Deepcrush »

So umm, no of you guys think anything of it???
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

A subsection on LOTR migth be in order, it is a rich and varied universe.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

I think subsections would have a role but is there really enough material to justify subsections for some of the more "niche" topics. I know WH40K has loads of threads and prob needs one and then adding them on a case by case basis as the need arises.
The plan has merit - it'll give the mods something to do moving threads around into the new sections to keep them out of peoples hair :)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The idea of a 40K forum was raised in the Mod Forum a couple of days ago.

I'm not sure LOTR needs its own forum, though. Just how many threads on the subject have we had?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

40K i can see. LOTR we dont discuss enough to justify a subsection.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Reliant121 wrote:40K i can see. LOTR we dont discuss enough to justify a subsection.
But if it had it's own forum, might it be discussed more? It may also draw in more people who aren't necessarily only "Star Trek/Wars/Gate/Space" fans
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

True, LotR isn't big here but I think the issue with LotR could be similar to the issue I have with Culture Universe. The details are greatly spread out and no where is present to really bring up the details. Star Wars only had a few threads, less then 40K when it got its own subsection and when it did... it took off big time. The same thing with GK's Coalition Universe. It was small to start then he gave it its own section and it took off. It became a lot easier for people to read through things vs having to find them.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Ok i'll start it - Gandalf V's the the witch king of angmar

But is saved by...... Rohan
Were they right to do it? Did they sacrifice so many for little reward at home? Or did they do it because they knew it was the right thing to do?

The ride 0f the rohirm at the battle of pelnnor fields - Big battle stuff here

Now I'll end it
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If you're going to start it shouldn't you start a new thread to make it easier for later sorting??? :poke:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

colmquinn wrote:Ok i'll start it - Gandalf V's the the witch king of angmar

But is saved by...... Rohan
Were they right to do it? Did they sacrifice so many for little reward at home? Or did they do it because they knew it was the right thing to do?

The ride 0f the rohirm at the battle of pelnnor fields - Big battle stuff here

Now I'll end it
Rohan wasn't just there to 'gain' something from Gondor IMO. They were there to make a statement, much like the one made by Aragorn after the engagement at Parth Galen. Aragorn failed to serve Frodo the way he promised, but even in this failing he found a new calling. He would meet the enemy any chance he could no matter the end result. Theoden had to show for both his people and for the world as a whole that even when the price is absolute, knowing such that you go to a war you will most likely lose, you must still stand and fight for a cause worth fighting for.

Outside of the morals of the issue, there is also a tactical matter. If Theoden could cripple Sauron's Army at Minas Tirith then the rest of Middle Earth would stand a chance as it would have time to come together. Rohan and Gondor could prepare new armies and ready themselves with any other help they could gain to finally put up a solid defense against Mordor and its allies. As we find with the Reunited Kingdom later, the people of the west had a rather impressive amount of power they could pull together. However, during the War of the Ring, Sauron in continuous actions (ie Isengard and Rhun) put the "good guys" on the defensive and forced them to spread their resources. Helping to defeat or badly wound the evil army at Minas Tirth would allow what Aragorn did only a couple years later, gather an army strong enough march into the eastern realms and win.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

The cavalry charge on Pelnor fields still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up - the sheer glory of it. "to death, to death" - doomed but the sheer bravery and glory of one last all or nothing charge shows how "better" humans are than Saurons rabble. I cant argue with you deep I just wanted to try stimulate a reaction.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Plus in a slightly more selfish element of tactics, if they could cripple the army at Minas Tirith, it would mean other settlements of man (Edoras, for example) are less at threat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

colmquinn wrote:The cavalry charge on Pelnor fields still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up - the sheer glory of it. "to death, to death" - doomed but the sheer bravery and glory of one last all or nothing charge shows how "better" humans are than Saurons rabble. I cant argue with you deep I just wanted to try stimulate a reaction.
Totally agreed, the charge and speech are epic in their feel. Its the one part of the Movie that I don't mind that they changed. To be honest, and absolutely nothing against Karl Urban, Bernard Hill was the right man to give the speech.
Reliant121 wrote:Plus in a slightly more selfish element of tactics, if they could cripple the army at Minas Tirith, it would mean other settlements of man (Edoras, for example) are less at threat.
There is that much as well.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Reliant121 wrote:Plus in a slightly more selfish element of tactics, if they could cripple the army at Minas Tirith, it would mean other settlements of man (Edoras, for example) are less at threat.
It still gives me shivers, there is very little more magnificent than a massed cavalry charge.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington