Government Stupidity

Everything else
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Government Stupidity

Post by Nickswitz »

In movies we see a ton of stupid Gov't projects, what in your opinion is the stupidest.

Mine is in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

When the guy decides that he's going to create an indestructible person out of an already nearly indestructible person, and then kill him to dispose of him, with nothing more than a man with a handgun and a few auto's. Obviously indestructible doesn't mean a whole lot to them. :roll:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Government Stupidity

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm sorry but the absolute stupidity I saw from the Military and Government alike in the 1998 Godzilla movie tops the cake for me. Those guys couldn't hit a 500ft tall monster and a hundred yards and then blamed their heat seekers for it! :bangwall:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Nickswitz wrote:Mine is in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

When the guy decides that he's going to create an indestructible person out of an already nearly indestructible person, and then kill him to dispose of him, with nothing more than a man with a handgun and a few auto's. Obviously indestructible doesn't mean a whole lot to them. :roll:
The real stupid is when he sends the super shooter after Wolverine, and after the shooter fails, the General reveals the adamantium penetrator bullets for a gun, that he had all the time. Maybe he should have given that to the shooter first?
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Maybe he wanted to tie up loose ends? :confused:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Weyland Utani, two centuries of doing nothing but failing to do anything useful with the xenomorphs... and they keep trying.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Tyyr wrote:Weyland Utani, two centuries of doing nothing but failing to do anything useful with the xenomorphs... and they keep trying.
I can't even understand what their fascination with the things are. I mean yeah, they are fairly deadly, but anything you could do with them you could do better with a standard weapon. You want to kill one person, an assassin with a good rifle is a better choice. You want to destroy a base, go with an air strike. You want to obliterate a nation, nuke em.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah, mucking with the Xenomorphs is just a bad idea. Its pretty clear that when dealing with them, just shoot them and don't worry about anything until you've run out of bullets.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Well, just make sure you're a safe distance from them when they splatter, or you'll regret it.
Just bring one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchisson_Assault_Shotgun And fill it with flechette rounds for that extra pizazz!

As far as government stupidity, how about any movie that shows the military getting into bed with private weapons R&D companies? Hulk comes to mind.
Also, the retards in Abyss. The SEaLs should have screened more thoroughly than they did, and talk about paranoia! Their CO gave them permission to arm a nuke? Wow, that's just dumb.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

mwhittington wrote:Well, just make sure you're a safe distance from them when they splatter, or you'll regret it.
Just bring one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchisson_Assault_Shotgun And fill it with flechette rounds for that extra pizazz!
Yeah, seriously. Eat this, you ugly phallic freaks! :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Of course, you could also go this route, if you were so inclined. :lol:

Or this.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Of course, you could also go this route, if you were so inclined. :lol:

Or this.
Or you could quit messing around and use this. Targets will fall when hit.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Funny, I was just about to say that if you really want xenomorphs (or most anything else up to and including a T-Rex) to eat sh*t, use this. :lol:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

mwhittington wrote:Also, the retards in Abyss. The SEaLs should have screened more thoroughly than they did, and talk about paranoia! Their CO gave them permission to arm a nuke? Wow, that's just dumb.
The kind of freak out that guy had isn't one you can really screen for, there's no real way to replicate that environment anywhere but down deep. Now maybe only sending three was questionable, as was the team mates not seeing it quicker and doing something about it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Funny, I was just about to say that if you really want xenomorphs (or most anything else up to and including a T-Rex) to eat sh*t, use this. :lol:
Great ROF, but I think a minigun's caliber is too small for a T. rex.

If I had to pick a conventional firearm for that job (not a RR or AT weapon,) I think I'd go with the Steyr 15.2mm APFSDS rifle.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:
mwhittington wrote:Also, the retards in Abyss. The SEaLs should have screened more thoroughly than they did, and talk about paranoia! Their CO gave them permission to arm a nuke? Wow, that's just dumb.
The kind of freak out that guy had isn't one you can really screen for, there's no real way to replicate that environment anywhere but down deep. Now maybe only sending three was questionable, as was the team mates not seeing it quicker and doing something about it.
True, on mission if one of your squad is starting to break down you have to either remove them from the mission or send them to God.