Everything else
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Gundam fans

Post by stitch626 »

Any Gundam fans on here?

Stupid question.
Anyway, so far, I haven't found a Gundam I dislike. Much like Star Trek, there are episodes I can't stand, and things about each series I can't stand, but overall, I enjoy watching them.
Just recently I finished Turn A, which was very interesting.
Currently I'm on ZZ and Seed (oddly, haven;t seen Z yet).
Some I'm having trouble finding, specifically G-Savior, the live action movie from 2000.

I think the lure for me is, big robots, explosions, and an actual plot (though one that gets recycled and slightly modified over and over haha).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Gundam fans

Post by Deepcrush »

Gundam Wing was my fav. Seed just bored me, though it was many years ago I watched it. I didn't know there was a live action for it!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

It was considered too different to be really good (but I want to see it before I judge it).

Fun fact, it was filmed in English, so no bad translating.

It suffered mostly from being in 2000, so CGI was limited and as such there wasn't the epic battles people expected (so I'm told).
Was never released in theatres, but mas seeing a mobile suit on the big screen would be awesome.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah, its one of those things that they'd need a lot of work to pull off on the big screen. Though if they did pull it off, it would be epic! :shock:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Well, I like Gundam Wing for one. i haven't seen the rest, though.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I have a love/hate relationship with Gundam. Some of it is damn awesome, and some of it makes me want to break things.

Gundam Wing was fun in places, and had some of the more awesomely designed suits, but I had trouble taking it seriously considering that not only did the gundams have insanely skilled yet unbelievably young pilots, but to top it off the gundams were so over powered compared to everything else you could have stuck redshirts in them and still won. The characters were also flat and uninteresting aside from Duo. Heero and Ralina especially annoyed me. Endless Waltz could have been awesome, but suffered from some mind blowing stupidity and outright absurdity that countered a lot of the awesome that was the new suit designs and battles.

8th MS team might have been my favorite, though it's been so long since I last saw it I really can't remember details, only impressions. I think it was the most realistic of the Gundams, and I recall liking the characters.

Gundam Z was fairly good, though they killed off a bunch of characters that I liked for no good reason.

I've only seen a bit of the original Gundam, and didn't really care for it, though I think that's more the fault of the time period it was made in than with the show itself. It was written back in the silly age of sci fi, and I just can't bring myself to ignore some of the absurd plot lines and battle elements.

Seed was okay, though I only saw the first half or so. Nothing about it thrilled me though.

The F81 movie (I think that's what it was) sucked ass as far as story and characters, but the fight scenes were freaking awesome, as was the Gundam itself.

I think the series as a whole has far more potential than it's ever managed to live up to. I really wish they would move away from the overly emotionally burdened child pilots, I get so sick of their pseudo-philosophical issues that they can't even articulate. I just want to see a good war setting with giant robots blowing each other up.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I think the series as a whole has far more potential than it's ever managed to live up to. I really wish they would move away from the overly emotionally burdened child pilots, I get so sick of their pseudo-philosophical issues that they can't even articulate. I just want to see a good war setting with giant robots blowing each other up.
Then you would probably enjoy Turn A Gundam. Though as far as I can find, its only in Japanese with English subtitles.
And give it a bit if you do watch it. The first episodes are weird (from a Gundam standpoint), but once the war starts it is interesting (from booms and plot).

My only real problem with Seed is that its pretty much Mobile Suit Gundam 2.0. Better graphics, similar plot, similar characters.