Everything else
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: 30 Best Sci-Fi Shows of All Time

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:Yeah, none of us Yanks would mention that one...
The fact that some of you were born with good taste and working brains does not make up for the vast majority of your countrymen. Don't forget that you, collectively, elected a badly trained monkey as president. Twice.
Gordon Brown. Neville Chamberlain. We're all human, my friend.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Gordon Brown. Neville Chamberlain. We're all human, my friend.
Chamberlain was at least trying to do the right thing, and apart from a few idiots in Scotland no one ever elected Brown.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Technically, nobody ever elected anybody Prime Minister...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Wow... that's a bad list. I can't say anything else that hasn't already been said, but yeah. A bad list.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The main reason I despise Brown was he wasn't elected to his position, he merely seemed to inherit the position of prime minister.

Chamberlain wasn't actually all that bad, his intentions were good in all. His gamble just didn't really work out right.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Reliant121 wrote:Chamberlain wasn't actually all that bad, his intentions were good in all. His gamble just didn't really work out right.
Chamberlain had the right idea in trying to find a peaceful sollution. War, after all, should always remain the very last resort. Sadly, he was too naive to realise that he was dealing with an utter lunatic who'd never stop.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Sionnach Glic wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:Chamberlain wasn't actually all that bad, his intentions were good in all. His gamble just didn't really work out right.
Chamberlain had the right idea in trying to find a peaceful sollution. War, after all, should always remain the very last resort. Sadly, he was too naive to realise that he was dealing with an utter lunatic who'd never stop.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I dunno, most of us learn that giving the bully what he wants only makes him want more back in grade school.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mikey wrote:
Sionnach Glic wrote:
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
All too true, sadly.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Ok, so how about we fix the list?

Here's my go. Pared it down to 20 because almost half the crap on that list never should have been there.

1) TOS
2) Twilight Zone
3) DS9
4) Babylon 5
5) X-Files
6) Stargate SG-1
7) TNG
8) Outer Limits
9) Dr. Who
10) Neo BSG
11) MST3K
12) Original V
13) Firefly
14) Andromeda
15) 6 Million Dollar Man
16) Futurama
17) Lost in Space
18) Stargate Atlantis
19) Space, Above and Beyond
20) Earth 2.0
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:Ok, so how about we fix the list?

Here's my go. Pared it down to 20 because almost half the crap on that list never should have been there.

1) TOS
2) Twilight Zone
3) DS9
4) Babylon 5
5) X-Files
6) Stargate SG-1
7) TNG
8) Outer Limits
9) Dr. Who
10) Neo BSG
11) MST3K
12) Original V
13) Firefly
14) Andromeda
15) 6 Million Dollar Man
16) Futurama
17) Lost in Space
18) Stargate Atlantis
19) Space, Above and Beyond
20) Earth 2.0
I'd maybe flip SG:A and Andromeda myself or at least bump SG:A up somewhat
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

DS9 needs to be moved down a bit - it's excellent by Trek standards, but it's up against tough competition. Doctor Who should be in the top five, and Red Dwarf in the top ten. I also think it was a mistake to drop Thunderbirds - it should be somewhere around fifteen.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

My perspective on it at least. My Dr. Who is limited to the Doctors prior to the most recent one and even then only bits and pieces. I liked it and given how long it's been running I put it up there. Probably should be higher but personally just didn't rate that high with me. Never seen Red Dwarf, go ahead and lambaste me for it. Thunderbirds... I dunno. I've seen it ,its campy fun, but top twenty sci-fi shows ever? I don't really think so personally.

Stargate Atlantis is good, real good, but at this point the franchise was really repeating itself. New crew, new setting, new enemies, same basic show. It's on my list because it was executed well. Though I could see lowering Andromedas score. Frankly once you get out of the top five or ten it's really not that hard and fast.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tyyr wrote:My Dr. Who is limited to the Doctors prior to the most recent one and even then only bits and pieces. I liked it and given how long it's been running I put it up there. Probably should be higher but personally just didn't rate that high with me.
If that's the case then you've missed most of the best serials. As a remedy I prescribe Caves of Androzani - one of the best of the lot (Part one on YouTube). Some other good ones include Genesis of the Daleks (Fourth Doctor) and The Curse of Fenric (Seventh Doctor). Watch those and I suspect your opinion would change.
Thunderbirds... I dunno. I've seen it ,its campy fun, but top twenty sci-fi shows ever? I don't really think so personally.
I do. The fact that it was as popular or more so when I was watching reruns in the early 90s as it's original broadcast in the 60s backs me up here.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote: Stargate Atlantis is good, real good, but at this point the franchise was really repeating itself. New crew, new setting, new enemies, same basic show. It's on my list because it was executed well. Though I could see lowering Andromedas score. Frankly once you get out of the top five or ten it's really not that hard and fast.
While yes, it is essentially a repeat there are some key differences for me, aside from how well executed it was. I didn't realize this until recently, but I was talking with a friend who has the SG:A seasons on DVD and we were talking about the Ancients and the expedition team and noticed that throughout the course of the series, the team seemed to become more and more like the Ancients. I don't have time to explain now but I will later.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."