30 Best Sci-Fi Shows of All Time

Everything else
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: 30 Best Sci-Fi Shows of All Time

Post by Mikey »

Seafort - if you want to sway Tyyr's opinion, you should direct him to the Baker years. I have a suspicion that Tyyr may be influenced by a tough chick in a short leather dress. :lol:

Personally, I agree with the addition of Red Dwarf. I also agree with Tyyr's omission of Thunderbirds. I personally think Space: Above and Beyond, Earth 2.0, and Andromeda should be shelved in favor of UFO and Space: 1999.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'd disagree with Andromeda purely because I like it, and I've actually seen it. Apparently I used to watch space 1999 in Italy when i was small but i really can't remember it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Andromeda was rather good for the first couple of series. Then it went utterly shit when they fired the main writer for the show.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Yes, I would agree. It all got terribly weird when you got to the "route of ages" crap.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mikey wrote:Seafort - if you want to sway Tyyr's opinion, you should direct him to the Baker years. I have a suspicion that Tyyr may be influenced by a tough chick in a short leather dress. :lol:
Hell yes.
Personally, I agree with the addition of Red Dwarf. I also agree with Tyyr's omission of Thunderbirds.
I can't deny Thunderbirds had a long run but it had a long run for being a campy classic puppets show not because it was great sci-fi.
I personally think Space: Above and Beyond,
S:AB didn't last long but what it did have was a short but very very good run. And besides, it gave us:
Chaplain: Colonel McQueen. Perhaps you should make peace with your maker.
McQueen: My maker was some geek in a lab coat with an eye-dropper and a petrie dish. What do I need to make peace with him for?
Chaplain: At these times we should all make peace with our maker.
McQueen: With all due respect, Chaplain, I don't think our maker wants to hear from me right now. Because he knows I'm going to go out in that sky in this plane and remove one of his creations from his universe. And when I return, I'm going to drink a bottle of scotch as if it were Chiggy von Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death.
Chaplain: Amen.
Earth 2,
I will freely admit that this is on my list almost entirely because I loved the concept back in the day. The execution kinda blew and I tossed Sliders for being concept and bad execution but Sliders was an epic fuck up and E2 was just kinda meh.
and Andromeda
Has an AI chick, and the only thing I like more than an AI story is an AI story with a hot chick.
should be shelved in favor of UFO and Space: 1999.
No personal experience with either.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:I can't deny Thunderbirds had a long run but it had a long run for being a campy classic puppets show not because it was great sci-fi.
100% agreed.
Tyyr wrote:I will freely admit that this is on my list almost entirely because I loved the concept back in the day. The execution kinda blew and I tossed Sliders for being concept and bad execution but Sliders was an epic f**k up and E2 was just kinda meh.
No doubt it was better than Sliders but IMO that's not saying much.
Tyyr wrote:Has an AI chick, and the only thing I like more than an AI story is an AI story with a hot chick.
If each ep was just an hour of looking at Lexa Doig in a leather suit, it would be #1.
Tyyr wrote:No personal experience with either.
I just started to look at UFO on Graham's recommendation, and it was spot-on. Space: 1999 was before your time, and had a bit of the associated camp, but Martin landau - 'nuff said.

BTW, I just thought of another one to make some room for - would The Prisoner (the original, not the Jim Caviezel crap) go in here?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:I just started to look at UFO on Graham's recommendation, and it was spot-on.
I'd love to know what your thoughts on it are...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Plain and simple... I really liked it. The production was the best part - some of the "outside the box" thinking as to how it was made, rather than what was being made. However, what I appreciated most was that it didn't get too full of itself for being edgy production-wise, which would have caused the story to suffer.
as Bull offed Custer