If Predators are so honorable....

Everything else
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

If Predators are so honorable....

Post by LaughingCheese »

Why did they bother attacking marines????

We're totally outclassed, outgunned, and outmanned (yeah, a single pred is like an entire platoon or something :p).

Doesn't seem very honorable.

Now, when we come between them and the aliens I can understand that.

Its been a while since I've seen the movie, and I've never seen it all the way through.

That thought just popped into my mind as I was playing the AVP demo tonight.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: If Predators are so honorable....

Post by Tsukiyumi »

In the AVP movies, they never attacked any Marines, only mercenaries (AVP) and National Guard (AVP-R).

In the original Predator, he went after a special forces squad; not an easy fight for the Pred, overall.

In Predator 2, I got the distinct impression that the Predator in the movie was a younger, more inexperienced one.

Really, I think they just use humans for practice for the younger hunters, before they get to fight Xenomorphs and become "adults".

Space Marines, on the other hand...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

It's not really that they are honorable, it's that they are big game hunters looking for a thrill. Their whole culture is based around hunting things that can fight back. Now that's not to say they're going to constantly put themselves on perfectly equal footing, that't not sporting, it's insanity and a death wish. But while humna weapons are underpowered in terms of what they really need to pose a serious threat to a pred, they are still weapons that can hurt and kill them, potentially.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

...I thought they just attacked anyone armed. And Aliens.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

They're honorable by their own definition, which to me is a pretty weak definition of honorable.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Their code of honour is simply that anyone armed is fair game, while anyone unarmed is not. Thus why soldiers that are no match for them are considered prey.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think it was pointed to but you have to remember one very important detail. The Preds are NOT honorable warriors, they're regulated hunters. If you can hurt them, then they can hurt you. Thats their rule and it makes a good bit of sense. Reason being is that if there is a race out there that can hurt you, you've spent your whole culture learning to kill it.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tsukiyumi wrote:In the AVP movies, they never attacked any Marines, only mercenaries (AVP) and National Guard (AVP-R).
Oh, I guess I'll have to watch that one again.
In the original Predator, he went after a special forces squad; not an easy fight for the Pred, overall.
In Predator 2, I got the distinct impression that the Predator in the movie was a younger, more inexperienced one.
Hmm, don't think I've ever seen Predator 2. Need to rent it sometime.
Really, I think they just use humans for practice for the younger hunters, before they get to fight Xenomorphs and become "adults".

Space Marines, on the other hand...
That's what I was thinking; for them, Xenomorphs are where its at.
Nutso wrote:...I thought they just attacked anyone armed. And Aliens.
That's the impression I got.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I read a book or two and some comics from the AVP series back in the day. Predators call Humans and similar prey "soft meat". Aliens they call "Hard meat".

They are honourable by their own code, which says that combat should be on equal terms. Usually the Predator uses his gun, and if so he'll only engage a Human who has a gun too. But that's not a universal rule; if a Predator wants to stop and kill an unarmed Human, or one armed without a gun, he can do so; he just needs to switch to his own "not a gun" weapons.

You see this in the movies; when the Indian, Billy, stood to face the Predator with his knife, it would very likely have used its own stabbing prongs on him. When it finally got face to face with Dutch it could have killed him easily with the prongs, but instead it chose to de-mask and engage in a fist fight. Similarly at the end of Predator 2 the Predator chose to use the pronged weapon against Danny Glover when he was armed with the throwing disc.

Of course, in any of those cases the Predator retains a massive superiority; he may use gun against gun, but he's behind a stealth system. He may use knife or fist against knife or fist, but he's far larger and stronger than a Human. It's still not really close to a fair fight.

But then Earth hunters use high powered rifles on unarmed deer from hundreds of yards away and think it manly. Who are we to complain?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Tyyr wrote:They're honorable by their own definition, which to me is a pretty weak definition of honorable.
You mean like Klingons?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Pretty much. Odd that I'm in this exact same debate on dakkadakka.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

thelordharry wrote:
Tyyr wrote:They're honorable by their own definition, which to me is a pretty weak definition of honorable.
You mean like Klingons?
Not really, the Klingons have a very strict sense of what honor is. They choose not to follow it.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

GrahamKennedy wrote:But then Earth hunters use high powered rifles on unarmed deer from hundreds of yards away and think it manly. Who are we to complain?
Well I'm going to question this. Is it manly or is it a part of manhood for areas that rely on animals for food. Or part of a practiced tradition to remember such. More then likely is a combination of both.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Shooting a deer from a hundred yards away doesn't make you manly. Killing it with one shot at that range, field dressing it, carrying the carcass our yourself, then cutting it up and actually using it makes you manly.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:Shooting a deer from a hundred yards away doesn't make you manly. Killing it with one shot at that range, field dressing it, carrying the carcass our yourself, then cutting it up and actually using it makes you manly.
In winter, that one shot feeds your family for two weeks if you're careful. That's a manly deed IMO, taking care of your family.