The Best Of The Worst - Who Do You Choose?

Everything else

Who do you choose to lead you home?

Captain Janeway on the Voyager
43%
Admiral Daala on the Chimera
24%
Admiral Cain on the Pegasus
33%

Total votes: 21
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The Best Of The Worst - Who Do You Choose?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Looks like you picked the wrong time to join the military. You're just aboard the ship when all of a sudden it gets hurled across space into uncharted territory. The ship itself is fine, and has taken no damage. Similarly, there are no crew casualties or other problems. But you get something of a sinking feeling when your commander gets on the ship's intercom and informs the crew that they are 1 year's travel away from home. Let's just hope your captain can get you home in once piece....

So who would you rather have sitting in the captain's chair, with the power of life and death over you and everyone else aboard the ship?

Captain Janeway (ST:V)

Admiral Daala (SW)

Admiral Cain (nBSG)

If anyone's got another suggestion of a particularly awful captain (oddly, they're the only three I can think of off the top of my head), feel free to let me know and I may add them to the poll.

Each captain will have command of their respective vessels (Voyager for Janeway, Chimera for Daala and Pegasus for Cain), and any alien races they run into will be of slightly inferior tech to their respective civilisations.

So, with you as some random low-ranking guy on the command deck, who do you trust the most to get you home alive after a 1 year period of wandering around in uncharted territory?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Best Of The Worst - Who Do You Choose?

Post by Deepcrush »

This is an easy one for me. Cain!

Okay, she's a cold hearted bitch. Who will kill anyone who gets in her way. But she plots her mission and then stops at nothing to get there. If her mission is to get her crew home. Then God help anyone who gets in the way.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Ugh. Cain was a suicidal war-crime committing maniac, just as likely to get you killed in some moronic scheme or execute you out of hand.

Daala was a complete and utter incompetent.

I hate to say it but I'd rather serve under Janeway. At least she did manage to save...most of her crew. I do put in a transfer request to some out of the way part of the ship though.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Ugh. Cain was a suicidal war-crime committing maniac, just as likely to get you killed in some moronic scheme or execute you out of hand.
Well, not sure how you see her as suicidal. But either way.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nitpick: Daala's flagship was the Gorgon, not the Chimaera.

Cain without a shadow of a doubt. Daala lost three ISDs outright, and left the fourth a constructive lost. Janeway repeatedly survived only by writers' fiat and the skin of her teeth, and left a trail of enemies across the Delta Quadrant. Cain was a psychopathic bitch, with a tendency to loose people in suicidal attacks, but she still had a working ship at the end of things, and at least had an understandable reason for going after the Cylons in the way she did, unlike Daala and Janeway.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Daala for me.

Janeway just seems to savor tormenting her crew and is horrible.

Cain, has an Ahab complex.

Daala might be incompetent but she's not hard on the eyes and doesn't seem to be actively trying to kill me.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Cain any day.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Can't I have Admirail Cain from Old BSG?

Imagine having Lloyd Bridges in charge.:-

"Sir, the Colonies have been destroyed and we're the last surviving Battlestar"
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop smoking"

He also has better taste in women then nBSG Admiral Cain.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Janeway. i know little about Cain, but Daala makes Janeway look competent.

No, that's not a typo or Bizarro-speak. Natasi 'The Bond girl' Daala makes Kathryn Janeway look competent.

EDIT: Crap, how do I change my vote? :bangwall:
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

Would Sinclair from B5 count? I know he didn't command a 'ship', but I felt his performance was sub-par in the one year he was portrayed.

I voted Cain, as long as you're on board with her plans and have a tremendous moral flexibility. Kinda reminds me of Captain Ransom of the Equinox and what he might have become on his attempt to return home...
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Janeway.............. so how does one become the disposal system custodian/technician around here? :P
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Foxbat wrote:Would Sinclair from B5 count? I know he didn't command a 'ship', but I felt his performance was sub-par in the one year he was portrayed.
Sinclair was the god of efficiency and ass-kicking compared to Daala and Janeway. And I'll still take Janeway over the Bond Girl.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I'd have to say Janeway.
I don't know enough about Cain, but Daala was... well incompetint to the extreme.
And since it's only one year, I'd have a good chance of surviving on a ship with 170 people the way Janeway did things.

Now after that year, I'd probably get court matialled for muteny and murder of the captain. :mrgreen:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah but if you're just gonna off the captain the question is kinda moot, and in that case Daala would make the superior concubine anyways, she's got practice.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Tyyr wrote:Yeah but if you're just gonna off the captain the question is kinda moot, and in that case Daala would make the superior concubine anyways, she's got practice.
See, the key is to actually survive long enough to kill her. Janeway's the only one I can see that happening with.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.