Vampire, Vampyre, or bloodsucker?

Everything else
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Vampire, Vampyre, or bloodsucker?

Post by Lighthawk »

Thanks to the Twilight and Ultraviolet threads, we got into a fair deal of talk about vamps and what they are or are not. It got me interested in knowing, what are your favorite vampires? Which series, and what kind of abilities?

I rather like the vampires from the Dresden Files series of books. They're bloodsucking monsters, ugly and hideous, vaguely bat-like. However they wear 'flesh masks' that make them seem to be human (and damn good looking humans at that). They have the super strength and speed, and the hypnotic stare. Some of them know magic. They have a narcatic salavia which quickly drugs their victims ands renders them helpless. Sunlight burns them like fire, but crosses and holy symbols don't work on their own. Vampires are repelled by faith invested in the symbol, which doesn't actually have to be holy. (The main character Harry repells a vampire with his faith in magic, channeled through a pentigram necklace that represents the forces of magic.)
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Vampire, Vampyre, or bloodsucker?

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I really liked the Van Helsing movie Vampires
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lighthawk wrote:Thanks to the Twilight and Ultraviolet threads, we got into a fair deal of talk about vamps and what they are or are not. It got me interested in knowing, what are your favorite vampires? Which series, and what kind of abilities?

I rather like the vampires from the Dresden Files series of books. They're bloodsucking monsters, ugly and hideous, vaguely bat-like. However they wear 'flesh masks' that make them seem to be human (and damn good looking humans at that). They have the super strength and speed, and the hypnotic stare. Some of them know magic. They have a narcatic salavia which quickly drugs their victims ands renders them helpless. Sunlight burns them like fire, but crosses and holy symbols don't work on their own. Vampires are repelled by faith invested in the symbol, which doesn't actually have to be holy. (The main character Harry repells a vampire with his faith in magic, channeled through a pentigram necklace that represents the forces of magic.)
Aye. I'm a big fan of how the Dresden Files handles things. And apparently not all vampires are EeeVil? Even among "vampires" there's different sects?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I like the dude from Nosferatu.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Lighthawk wrote:I rather like the vampires from the Dresden Files series of books. They're bloodsucking monsters, ugly and hideous, vaguely bat-like. However they wear 'flesh masks' that make them seem to be human (and damn good looking humans at that). They have the super strength and speed, and the hypnotic stare. Some of them know magic. They have a narcatic salavia which quickly drugs their victims ands renders them helpless. Sunlight burns them like fire, but crosses and holy symbols don't work on their own. Vampires are repelled by faith invested in the symbol, which doesn't actually have to be holy. (The main character Harry repells a vampire with his faith in magic, channeled through a pentigram necklace that represents the forces of magic.)
Sounds vaguely like the UV Code Vs - enough carbon in the heart, or sunlight, will neutralise them, victims of bites will become susceptible to suggestion if they aren't treated. Crosses, etc, are unreliable, and are "a matter of faith, on both sides" - they can be effective if the Code V is superstitious, but that's it.

How do Dresdenverse vampires multiply? Blood exchange or draining (or something else)?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Captain Seafort wrote:Sounds vaguely like the UV Code Vs - enough carbon in the heart, or sunlight, will neutralise them, victims of bites will become susceptible to suggestion if they aren't treated. Crosses, etc, are unreliable, and are "a matter of faith, on both sides" - they can be effective if the Code V is superstitious, but that's it.

How do Dresdenverse vampires multiply? Blood exchange or draining (or something else)?
I'm not sure on the details. I only just finished the 4th book out of the 12 there are so far. It's not a simple thing though, being turned was referred to as a ritual. So it's not just a matter of being bitten. Also a vampire has to be high enough up in their orginization to be allowed to turn people. The one detail I do know is that after the ritual is performed, the person is kind of a half breed until the first time they drink blood. Strong and fast, but still human, sunlight and faith won't hurt them, and sunlight actually helps block out the blood thrist if the person is fighting it.