Ultraviolet

Everything else
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Ultraviolet

Post by Aaron »

Tyyr wrote:I get the premise, but they brought too much cowboy too it.
See, I think they brought to much River into it. ;)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Joss has a serious hardon for damaged young girls with massive kick ass ability.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Yeah. :roll:

I would have been happy if the show focused just on the crew, which it did really but the Tam's overshadowed everything. A recurring guest role would have better IMO. Still enjoy the show a fair bit though. Especially when they get their old war buddy shipped to them.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I just loved Firefly from start to end. The space western was a nice twist on things. IMO
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ultraviolet was amazing. I have it all on DVD.

Spoilers for the series and it's treatment of Vampires follows...

Loved how they treated Vampires - it's not sunlight that burns them, it's UV light. UV lighting is a weapon used against the Vampires throughout the series.

As are Allicin gas grenades (the active ingredient of garlic!), and carbon bullets - carbon works as well as wood, so you can actually shoot mini stakes through their heart! But crosses are iffy - "A matter of faith, on BOTH sides."

Wonderful treatment of the mirror thing. Vampires cast no reflection in any surface - but they also don't record or transmit on any device, visual or otherwise. You can't film them or photograph them. They can't use telephones because their voice won't transmit - but they CAN use a Steven Hawking style voice simulator to speak on the phone for them. One of the GENIUS devices is a gun with a camera and mini screen fitted - if you see a man in the room who isn't on the screen, he's a Vampire. Leading to one particularly nasty moment when a guy sees a recording of one guy in a room, looks into the room and sees two guys in there... and thinks it's live footage, so runs in and shoots a human by mistake. There's an especially creepy episode in which a woman is unknowingly pregnant with a vampire child. Doctors keep telling her it's a phantom pregnancy because ultrasound scans never show a fetus - but she can feel it kicking and moving inside her....

Also love a little "by the way moment" when you realize that at no point in the whole series is the word "vampire" ever used. They are called "Code 5" - Roman numeral V for 5, V for Vampire - or "Leeches". Vampires rarely kill anybody; they suck blood, simultaneously using a natural sedative / healing agent to put you out and heal the wound. Most wake up without ever realizing that anything has happened. And being fed upon repeatedly makes the victim more and more susceptible to suggestion...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Sounds interesting. I'll have to see if I can find it over here some how.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:Sounds interesting. I'll have to see if I can find it over here some how.
The whole series is up on YouTube - I posted the link in the OP. Trouble is that I'm not sure if it's available outside the UK - my suspicion is that it isn't, given that it's an official C4 upload rather than an ad hoc one.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, can't view it.